• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wanna gamble on this?

17 posts in this topic

Sorry, I know some board members don't like posting a link to eBay, but I couldn't help!!

Ebay seated half doller

The coin seems to have a hit on left obverse field, but except for that, it looks very nice coin to me.(MS64 is accurate?)

I gave up bidding on raw coins, but I don't want to let it go without knowing why it's raw.

Can someone point me out the problem(if any) I'm missing?

Well the only thing that bugs me is the fact that I have to download Flash player to view his Damn auction.

Personally I would never bid on a raw coin that costs that much.But that is because I am a novice compaired to my friends here.

Coin looks awfully nice for raw coin. I am wondering why such a scarce (for grade) and valuable piece is not certified? Also there seems to be a pattern of feedback endorsements for the same people over and over. The coin could be righteous. I just have some alarm bells going off.

Okay guys, here's the deal:

The Flash Player is just needed to scroll his images around. The pics that he provides in the ebay auction are sufficient for getting an idea about the coin. The FP will allow you to zoom in and out and scroll........that's it.

Now, regarding the coin......I think that it is a very nice coin. The toning is NT (naturally toned). Of that I am 95% sure. Beyond natural toning, it is exquisite in terms of color and pattern. This type of toning is certainly album toning and these types of coins do exist, but they are scarce.

Here's the problem: I can't tell you if the coin is MS-64 or not. AU-58 coins can look just like this coin in a static image. To accurately grade a mint state coin, one must hold the coin and examine it under a sufficient light source.

Someone in this thread hinted that this coin may be a problem coin if it is not slabbed. That's not always true. Some of the best coins that we have ever purchased came from old collections that were raw and we sold them just like that....RAW. Lately it seems that the grading services are all over the place with consistency, so I can see why some collectors and dealers prefer to keep their coins raw. In this case, however, I think that the seller is not going to sell his coin on ebay. He set a reserve, so that tells me that he has a solid number in mind. He will be better off selling the coin at a show, where a real collector can hold and examine the coin and pay the price if appropriate. I would love to examine his seated half as it looks like a nice one. MS-64???? I just don't know without seeing the coin.

Dennis

I also don't want to download Flash so I haven't seen the coin. But you know what...I don't need to. I for one have given up trying for "deals" on eBay coins. This coin should be slabbed but is raw. It is raw for a reason. Can you guess what that reason might be?

Bargains in coins are few and far between. On eBay they are even fewer and further between.

Well, there is a bargain on ebay once in a while.

In fact, I once bought a raw 1800 bust doller described as AU by eBay seller whitch eventually was graded AU50 by PCGS. I gained $1600 on this coin.

Of course, I'm sure it's a rare case and infact I lost lots of money buying raw coins and coins in ACG, PCI, SEGS slabs smirk.gif

I'm sorry many people couldn't see the image from the auction. It had a very nice close up image and yet I couldn't find any problem.

I didn't have any intension to bid on this coin.

As said, I lost too much money to gamble on coins.

The reason why I started this thread is that I just wanted to know if I'm missing problems on this coin whitch other members can detect. The coin look so nice, indeed.

As stated above, the coin is raw for a reason. Imagine the amazement on the buyers face if/when that coin comes back in an au/58 holder. smile.gif

Well the other problem is that the services could BB it as AT - I'm not saying its AT, I'm just pointing out that the services could BB it - That blue periphal toning can be duplicated in the right "setting" (Think sulpher). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As stated above, the coin is raw for a reason. Imagine the amazement on the buyers face if/when that coin comes back in an au/58 holder. smile.gif

Back in the olden days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and caves were considered luxury housing, coins were bought and sold raw. smirk.gif

I admit that buying this coin raw over eBay has lots of risks, but the seller has good feedback and offers a return privilege.

Good buys are out there raw if you know what you're buying. Who is to say that this coin really isn't an MS64+ like the seller states?

Having said that, I don't know if I would buy it like this, but it isn't a total risk.

I returned a 1905 proof Barber half to this seller early this year. It was whizzed under nice retoning. It was terrible looking in person, and the pictures were pretty deceptive. The listing made no mention of the trouble. There were hairlines in the recessed CREASE OF THE NECK for crying out loud. The angled coin pic used in the listing made it impossible to see. At the time, he did have a more generous return policy, so I didn't worry about the purchase. To the seller's credit, he did send me a full prompt refund. Since then, he's changed his return policy slightly and greatly improved his pictures.