• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunday what the heck!

12 posts in this topic

i have been listing my peace dollar collection for sale and doing pics. i noticed some odd grading and am wondering what they were thinking or what you all think happened.the '27 p is dark spoted and seems less eye apeeling. while the 35s is natural brillian silver. as you can see the grades seem to be swapped ( at least in my opinion)

scan0090.jpg

scan0091.jpg

scan0092.jpg

Well in my opinion the 27' has some spotty toning going on with cleaner fields. The 35' does have some distracting marks on the Obv. I would say grading is justified.

While I am admittedly trying to make an evaluation from obverse pictures only, I would put them both at 62, myself. The toning on the 1927 is not distracting, and appears more original than the dipped look of the 35. The strike on the 35 is better, but there are more and more severe marks in prime focal areas on the 35. This is probably what limits the obverse. These appear to be scans, which reduce how much luster we get to see, but the 27 appears to have better luster than the 35 as well, which helps it out some.

I think the spottiness detracts from the eye appeal of the coin.

Personally, I might try submitting the coin to NCS for Conservation and see if they can "clean it up" -- I know they hate that word clean, it's "conserve" over there, but you know what I mean.

There is an "ASK NCS" forum, and you can upload the image there, and pose the question if they at least THINK the coin could be conserved or if they have had ANY LUCK conserving coins with similar TYPES of spotty toning. Answers are frequently non-committal, since they can't say with certainty until examining the coin in person, but sometimes they can comment in generalizations anyway.

Sometimes NCS won't mess with toned coins because they feel it could DETRACT from the coin's grade, and will return it without conserving it. Other times, they can work wonders, send it over to NGC, and it might grade exactly the same. Sometimes though, it can UPGRADE, and those times are VERY exciting!

The 1935-S has a lot of annoying tick marks are the hallmark of low graade Mint State coins. I think that the MS-61 grade is justified.

The 1927 is not a very attractive coin because of the toning spots. It may not have looked like that when it was slabbed. The coin may have been white from dipping and then these spots appeared after in a few to several months on the holder. I hope that this toning as not worked its way beyond the surface of the piece. In extreme cases this kind toning become damage that could end up in a BB if you cracked this coin out of the holder.

The '35-S has rub on the cheek and hair, hence the grade. Grading strictly, without seeing the coin or their reverses in hand, I would say the grades are correct. MS63's are often spotted or have slightly impaired luster.

the 27 is just so ugly i almost dont feel right selling it :(

Don't feel bad - I'll take it off your hands for face + shipping :D

We both win! I'm happy with the coin, you don't feel bad for selling it to me.