• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this 96D Roosey a genuine mint error?

17 posts in this topic

New post and attachment. The pic is not very good but you can get the

idea. I'm wondering if this is a genuine mint error or not. I received

the coin from a freind that works a convenience store. Now I know what

they mean by learning the ropes!!! 27_laughing.gif

285596-junk.jpg.763fff038c34b42d54edb7481eb76f46.jpg

It could have been cut down in a lathe. But, washers have been known to get in the presses also. If the coin was struck twice on the obverse and a washer fell in the press on the reverse before the second strike it would look like that. CAN YOU POST A PICTURE OF THE OBVERSE?

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

When I look at it under magnification you definately see a lot of markings

in a pattern going completely around the coin. But it is different. I wish I had the time and the lathe to do this on, if thats how it was done. Thank for your patience and response.

It does not look double srtuck on the obverse. However, it still looks like a washer was on top of the reverse before it was struck. I have seen washers that somehow made it into the presses. If this is what happened then it would be neat to find the mate for this coin. A lathe could still have turned it down though.Send it in for grading, and see what happens. A washer could have caused this brockage. Do you have a picture of the edge?

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

If there was a washer on the reverse, the coin would be a lot thinner and wider, with funky rims. It seems clear from the photos that this was done on a lathe, because if it was struck through something, there wouldn't be that partial layer of copper exposed, it would be uniformly nickel. As for the time it would take, not much. I had a Kennedy that was cut down on the edge and then re-reeded as a post-mint alteration, which would have taken a LOT more time, yet somebody did it!

On my Kennedy, it was a combination of the weight (underweight for a Kennedy, and overwieght for an SBA planchet), plus I sent it into ANACS for verification and they came to the same conclusion, though I still have trouble believing someone would go through such trouble.

well this is after the fact of all the other posts on here

but

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone, a young intern? was doing a test? at a metal shop or was taking a bet? to see if they could do something

michael