• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm so torn what to do

17 posts in this topic

Guess I just wanted to hear some comments.

I've been buying/selling online for only about a year now.

I just picked up an original roll of 1955 wheats.

Arrived intact and at a decent price. I know my odds are astronomical for double die but I have to say the urge to open it is tearing me up! I think I could resell for 10-20 profit but I dont know what to do.

I guess you could say that I have the same predicament. I won a lot of 60 never-opened 1964 Proof Sets in the last Scotsman auction. Will there be any Accented Hair Kennedy's or doubled dies in the lot?

Go ahead! Rip that roll of 55's open! After all, it's only 50c.

Chris

I don't remember the full story but I think that few, if any, of the '55 DDOs were found in rolls. Most were found in cigarette packages as change for the 23 cent pack from the vending machine. That's one reason very few exist in full red.

Ok no ddo's but it was fun found a few that I can try to recover some money on.

Question they all have the outline of Lincoln on the reverse to varying degrees, is this from the roll standing on end for many years?

If so they certainly weren't all facing the same direction so how does this happen

Ok no ddo's but it was fun found a few that I can try to recover some money on.

Question they all have the outline of Lincoln on the reverse to varying degrees, is this from the roll standing on end for many years?

If so they certainly weren't all facing the same direction so how does this happen

From what you describe, it is very possible that that roll was struck from a set of clashed dies....

MM

I guess you could say that I have the same predicament. I won a lot of 60 never-opened 1964 Proof Sets in the last Scotsman auction. Will there be any Accented Hair Kennedy's or doubled dies in the lot?

Chris

Chris, I would say your predicament is more delicate than that of owning the roll of 55s. The accented hairs do add some value, but it isn't an astronomical percent. Therefore, one might be tempted to open some sets now, perhaps some later. You have a chance of making 10, 20, maybe thirty dollars? But the 55? Shoot, a single one would be at least a few thousand dollars. So, I'd bust that roll open in a second!

Chris

Chris, I would say your predicament is more delicate than that of owning the roll of 55s. The accented hairs do add some value, but it isn't an astronomical percent. Therefore, one might be tempted to open some sets now, perhaps some later. You have a chance of making 10, 20, maybe thirty dollars? But the 55? Shoot, a single one would be at least a few thousand dollars. So, I'd bust that roll open in a second!

Aw heck, James, it's only money and you can't take it with you!

You've got that right about the 55's, though! (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Chris

Not a die clash, this is an example of "ghosting". It results for extended use of the dies where the constant pounding causes the reverse die to "sink" slightly so that is shows a ghost image of the design from the other side. It is more commonly seen on larger coins, especially when the coin is struck on a thin planchet. The old british pennys are well known for this effect.

Not a die clash, this is an example of "ghosting". It results for extended use of the dies where the constant pounding causes the reverse die to "sink" slightly so that is shows a ghost image of the design from the other side. It is more commonly seen on larger coins, especially when the coin is struck on a thin planchet. The old british pennys are well known for this effect.

Man knows his stuff (thumbs u

Thanks for the help you always give so freely Conder.