• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$9.57 sure buys you a lot of coin these days :O

25 posts in this topic

Saw this one on Ebay....raw....estates sale....all of the warning bells and whistles went off but...........when I saw the image I knew right off this was a NT coins with huge potential. Not to toot my own horn but I don't think many folks would have caught the little lines visable on the coin due to the small images but I have seen this countless times on envelope toned frankies so.....I got a bit excited :banana:

I placed my first bid $25 bucks........next bid $40 bucks......as the auction was nearing it's end I bid $50 and new until the final seconds ticked away that I would be sniped :censored: When the dust settled the bid never moved and I was shocked at my good furtune....$9.57....so about 50% over melt :o

As far as surface quality......this coin is maybe an MS63.....don't know if it would go higher (doubt it) but keep in mind the marks look worse becuase of the large images. As for color......the coin has neon irradessence across 100% of the obverse and reverse and the color is amazing in hand :cloud9:

So.....while I did pay over melt for this raw frankie...something tells me I am not burried in the coin hm

Ebay 1959 Frankie

Not my best images becuase I didn't adjust the lighting properly but you get the idea.....................................

EbaySales013.jpg

EbaySales007-1.jpg

Dang! Great snag! ^^

Love the Rainbow Tone, Nice Franklin you got there! (thumbs u

ripe rip!

Fantastic snag! :applause:

You little bargain hunter :headbang:

[font:Comic Sans MS]And, yeah, this quote, too![/font]

You can kiss my lower reverse posterior!

3_7_9v.gif36_11_6.gifNice one Shane. :applause:

Man, you suck. I wish I had seen that (and had the confidence to bid - I don't think I would have). But that is seriously sweet. 100% NT you say? I have not seen that before but it looks cool. Explain the lines again, please.

Man, you suck. I wish I had seen that (and had the confidence to bid - I don't think I would have). But that is seriously sweet. 100% NT you say? I have not seen that before but it looks cool. Explain the lines again, please.

Honestly I don't know how the lines got their....these 1959 sets came in flat packs as opposed to the old cardboard holders so they don't tone the same way. I have seen numerous examples that are NT and quite colorful with these lines so when I saw them......I had a pretty good idea of what the coin would look like in hand.

I will try to poll my fellow TCCS members to see if they have an idea how the lines formed.....potentially some type of album as oppoed to an envelope but it looks like envelop toning so I can't explain. Any other folks when to chime in with there thoughts abut the lines?

Here is an example of another 60's frankie with the lines......

1960-P50cMS66PCGS.jpg

These incidents are rare but they do exist. Last week I saw earlier in the day where nobody seemed to be bidding on a 1878 7/8 TF in a NGC Holder with a MS62 Grade.It was at about $60.00 and had 4 hours to go.

I went back 3 1/2 hours later and it was about $80.00. I put in a maximum bid of $104.00 and picked it up for $103.50.

I have looked and the cheapest I have seen this particular coin is $220.00.

For some reason quite a few 1960 Franklins have the parallel lines. In much fewer cases 1959 Frankies also have the lines. They appear when the coin tones up. I have heard of no logical reason why this occurs, but obviously it must have something to do with how the planchet was treated at some point in time.

As to the toning on this coin, I have never seen a 1959 with this sort of toning, which is a bit of a red flag, but Shane, who has it in hand, assures me that it is NT, so I'm willing to take his word on it. At some point in the future I'll try to make it to FUN and maybe then I could see this coin in hand.

After 1958 all Franklin Mint Sets were in flatpacks, so that there are no true mint set toned Frankies from that era. Generally what you see are album or envelope or EOR type toning on Franklins from this era. When Shane originally sent me the eBay image for the above coin I was thinking it might be envelope toning, but generally the color you get from envelope toning is more of a blueish accented color, e.g. if your coin was green it would appear to be blueish green. Here's my (envelope toned) 1959 and you can see it is kind of a purpleish blue... also note the partial lines on it.

59ms65-1Sm.jpg

59ms65-2Sm.jpg

In any case for <$10 Shane's coin is definitely a you suck kind of a coin.