• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANA YN ancient coin project help

9 posts in this topic

Well I joined the ANA, and yesterday was my birthday (turned 20). I figure since I only have a few more years of being a YN according to the ANA, I might as well make use of it.

I want to join the ancient coin program and earn 1 ancient coin. After I earn the first one, that's all I want is 1. Well I'm having second thoughts on what I should do. I don't know what I'm good at in numismatics besides knowing a bit about counterfeiting methods. So I'm asking you folks which 3 I should do and how I should go about doing it..

Basically it works like this, you have to complete 3 tasks, and then you earn your first ancient coin. Here's the tasks:

1) Numismatic program

Speak to any group, such as at school, coin club or scouts

2) Exhibit

Build an exhibit and display it at a coin show, bank, or library.

3) Publish a numismatic article approx. 400 words or more

(Please enclose a copy with your form)

4) Service

Organize or hold office in an ANA member organization

5) Coin show

volunteer to work at a coin show in your area

6) Youth organization

Earn a badge, award, or other special recognition for numismatics

To receive your first coin (Roman empire, Victorinus, antoninianus, A.D 268-270)

complete any three of categories 1-6

I wrote a 7 page article based on the book coin collecting for dummies in high school, but since it's based on a book I don't think I could publish it. I'm a bit worried I won't be able to do this. if I do an exhibit, what should I exhibit?

If I write another article, where should I try and get it published? Local newspaper, ANA magazine?

I just don't think I'm knowledgeable enough in coins to do this.

Perhaps some people here could chime in and give me some tips...point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Kevin

Is there a local coin club in your area? If so making a presentation there would be good, as well as a display. I know our club has an annual show, and I've done exhibits the last 2 years and they were very fun to do.

Is there a local coin club in your area? If so making a presentation there would be good, as well as a display. I know our club has an annual show, and I've done exhibits the last 2 years and they were very fun to do.

There is not a local coin club in my area. The closest one is in phoenix or scottsdale and I can't afford to make the trip there. There is a coin show in scottsdale my friend sometimes takes me to, however.

maybe I could do something there? Who knows...

thanks for the help

Well I joined the ANA, and yesterday was my birthday (turned 20). I figure since I only have a few more years of being a YN according to the ANA, I might as well make use of it.

I want to join the ancient coin program and earn 1 ancient coin. After I earn the first one, that's all I want is 1. Well I'm having second thoughts on what I should do. I don't know what I'm good at in numismatics besides knowing a bit about counterfeiting methods. So I'm asking you folks which 3 I should do and how I should go about doing it..

Basically it works like this, you have to complete 3 tasks, and then you earn your first ancient coin. Here's the tasks:

1) Numismatic program

Speak to any group, such as at school, coin club or scouts

2) Exhibit

Build an exhibit and display it at a coin show, bank, or library.

3) Publish a numismatic article approx. 400 words or more

(Please enclose a copy with your form)

4) Service

Organize or hold office in an ANA member organization

5) Coin show

volunteer to work at a coin show in your area

6) Youth organization

Earn a badge, award, or other special recognition for numismatics

To receive your first coin (Roman empire, Victorinus, antoninianus, A.D 268-270)

complete any three of categories 1-6

I wrote a 7 page article based on the book coin collecting for dummies in high school, but since it's based on a book I don't think I could publish it. I'm a bit worried I won't be able to do this. if I do an exhibit, what should I exhibit?

If I write another article, where should I try and get it published? Local newspaper, ANA magazine?

I just don't think I'm knowledgeable enough in coins to do this.

Perhaps some people here could chime in and give me some tips...point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Kevin

Why don't you try 1, 2 & 5?

1) If you are going to speak to a group, I would suggest the Scouts. For one, they have a merit badge for coin collecting. Why not consider a theme about using numismatics as a way of saving. Considering your age, you would be able to speak from first-hand knowledge of what is necessary, financially, to start a collection.

2) Talk to the manager of your local bank and see if you couldn't set up a display on the States Quarters program. The reason I suggest this rather than, say, the Presidential Dollars is because the program is nearly complete, you would be able to present a nearly total set and the coins are still easily obtainable. You could present circulated, uncirculated and proof coinage. It might be a good idea to have someone work it with you, so that it can be tended during pit stops, etc. A second person would also be helpful to take lots of photos to submit to the ANA.

5) I don't know where you live, but if you live close to a fair-sized coin show, you could contact the organizers about volunteer work for your ANA project. Coin shows around the country are routinely listed in Coin World, Numismatic News and the Numismatist.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

Chris

I would pick #1, #4, and #5.

Getting experience in presenting is a valuable skill, coins or no coins. Most of us do not like it because we are nervous but it is an important skill to develop in life. And it will be easier and you should feel more confident speaking on a subject in which you are possibly going to be more knowledgeable than your audience.

I'll even make easy for you if you wish. I wrote a collecting guide for my heirs for when they inherit my collection. It is a Microsoft Word document. It is two sections (about 17 pages each), one on general collecting concepts and another on the coin series I collect. I can send you the first part if you want it.

The reason I would pick #4 and #5 is because it will give you more exposure to the hobby by meeting other collectors and you might even like it once you get to know some of these people.

Finally, these seem to be easier than the other three, and I am definitely a believer in taking the path of least resistance to meet an objective.

As far as where to get an article published, you mentioned two coin clubs. Chances are good that they have a club newsletter and I can tell you from past experience that club newsletter editors are ALWAYS interested in getting articles to publish. I know because I publish the club newsletter for the Old Fort Coin Club in Fort Wayne IN and provide articles for the Indianapolis Coin Club. You write the article and send it to me and I can handle the publishing of it. It would also be published on the Club website. So that would take care of #3 for you.