• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The look I like but rarely find

12 posts in this topic

Picked up this seated dollar last week it is in an ICG AU50 holder. What attracted me is the unmessed with look. It's been in circulation for awhile and AU50 might be a little high, but it does not appear to have been cleaned, or dipped, or even conserved. These are very hard to find in that condition (at least I can't find them).

92887269.jpg

92887270.jpg

While I do not agree with Bobby as to his 'Trade Dollar' misnomer, I do, in all respect, agree the coin looks previously cleaned to me. Not withstanding it is a nice specimen. Maybe the photo or the holder has hairline scratches on it, but it appears so to me. JMO.

At least in my mind, AU coins should have luster especially in the protected areas. This appears to have none. I wouldn't pay AU money for it, but I don't mind that coin at the right price.

JJ

Something does not look right about that coin. It looks more like a cleaned retoned coin. The toning in the fields between the stars should be a more even silver/grey with almost black toning right against the stars. When a cleaned coin retones, it will retone first around the devices and stars and tone outward from them.