• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please comment on this classic head quarter eagle

10 posts in this topic

With the practical completion of my twentieth century type set, I've recently moved my interest into earlier type. This coin caught my eye, and I have decided to purchase it. However, given this coin is on the edge of what I consider my comfort area, I was hoping others would comment on this coin.

I'm interested in opinions on value, grade, and and other subjective opinions on it:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thank you in advance for your thoughts...Mike

p.s. FWIW, it is currently graded XF 45 by PCGS, and I understand from its previous owner that it was graded AU 53 by NGC.

I would have called it an AU50 though this is not a series I actively collect so take that with a grain of salt. What I can say for sure is if I was looking to pick up classic gold...this coin has the original surfaces I would be looking for.....very nice (thumbs u

I would have called it low AU, so a 50 or 53 seems correct.

The surfaces seem to have a lot of contact marks. I find this somewhat distracting and would probably look for one with cleaner surfaces. However, if this piece is near the edge of your comfort area, then that might be a difficult and long task.

Overall, the coin looks fine.

I agree with the EF-45 grade that PCGS gave this coin. I could see where it could be graded AU-50, and might qualify for that grade if there is enough protected luster between the stars and letters around the edge.

The bust that appears on the 1835 quarter eagle is almost always weakly struck in the centers. Therefore the flatness on the head does not bother me. For a type coin it would better if all the detail was there, but this is normal. As to value, the Gray Sheet AU-50 bid is $1,300 and the EF bid is $660. Given the originality of the piece, the $1,300 price should be your upper guideline as to value. Given that it’s in an EF-45 holder and has a couple rim nicks, you should pay a little less. Coins of this type that are in EF-40 holders (priced under the $660 guideline) are usually very unattractive and almost always no better than Choice VF IMO.

This 1836 quarter eagle, which has the bust of 1835, made its way into a PCGS MS-62 holder. My grade was "MS-59.9." You can see that it is also weak in the centers.

1836QEagleO.jpg1836QEagleR.jpg

I tend to undergrade these coins, and would have assessed it EF-40. However, it has substantially better eye appeal than average for these coins. An abnormally huge percentage of these coins have been scrubbed.