• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 Red book

21 posts in this topic

I have a complete "reader's quality" set of Red Books that runs from the very first one that was published just after World War II. For that reason I've kept up with them.

If you have not purchased a Red Book since the early 2000s you really should buy one. For a while the publishers were letting to book go to the dogs, but recently all of the pictures have been beefed up so that now it's good handy reference. The prices can never be great because the coin market moves too fast for a one a year reference to provide decent market information. BUT for mintages, major variety information and other data, the Red Book is hard to beat for the money.

I've read that the Red Book itself is even a collectible to some people, so to someone whose got ALMOST an entire set, WOW!

Actually, I just checked my 2008 Red Book -- Appendix B, page 397

Red Book as a collectible -- by year and it lists prices, used and new!

Which is more of a collectible the blue book first edition or the redbook first edition and what would each be worth in excellent condition of course?

Well, it doesn't mention the Blue Book, BUT...

I almost fell out of my chair at the 1st Edition Red Book values...(Source, 2008 Red Book)

1947 (1st Edition) 1st Printing....Issue Price $1.50

VG $325

F $600

VF $1,500

-----------

1947 (1st Edition) 2nd Printing....Issue Price $1.50

VG $275

F $500

VF $1,200

The first Blue Book is a good item. The rest are of little interest to collectors. Many Blue Books are not worth the paper they were printed upon. As a collectable the Red Books wins hands down.

I just got the 2008 in the mail yesterday. :sumo:

Little on the slow side arn't ya Victor -

A year behind people would have donated one to you :) - I hope you didnt pay for it hehehe

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Does anyone else collect the Red Book and Blue Book commemorative silver medals? These were issued annually with each edition of these respective books from 1986 to 1996. I acquired each medal as issued, and they are toning nicely within my Whitman Classic album for the series.

I am still trying to comprehend this thread .. IS this an offer to sell them ??

I saw no offer, or even a HINT of a desire to part with the items. 2c

Congratulations, Bully, on what I believe is your first post under 500 words!! :applause:

:baiting:

:devil:

:jokealert:

I have the 1993 set that I inherited from my dad. I didn't know where they came from but now I see the light :cool: Thanks for filling in another numismatic black hole for me :D

Red Book accuracy.... I noticed on the page with the presidential dollars that they actually have references to silver presidential coins. I compared my presidential proof sets, one that came with the 2007 silver set and one that came with the proof set. The sets are the same! There is no "silver" presidential coins. Of course if I'm mistaken please let me know! Also where does one get updates to the red book or is that even a possibility?

Peace,

PS I hope I didn't hijack your thread.

The 2008 Redbook did list silver President dollars because at the time the book was being "put to bed" the Mint was conducting a survey asking collectors if they would like to see a silver version in the silver proof sets and the overwhelming response was YES!. So it seemed like it was going to be a done deal, if the Mint was asking and getting that kind of a response they are definitely going to try and do it. So they put it in the 2008 Redbook. Problem was the Mint never approached Congress about authorizing such a coin so it never happened. Look for it to be missing in the 2009 edition.

As to where to get updates, they are available roughly every April in the form of a new edition of the book. (Used to be every July but they moved it up to make them available at the spring ANA show.

thanks so much for the reply. Interesting story about the silver coins. As far as updates... I guess I'm used to technical manuals, from work, that are updated frequently with new information. Although I don't see myself getting a new book just to correct a couple of mistakes.

Thanks again,