• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Completed my Wheat Collection

23 posts in this topic

One of my goals this year was to complete a few of the series I had started, this is the second set. I recently completed my circulated Franklin set, and am the 1918/7D 5c short on the Buffalo (which I count as complete enough for now).

This Lincoln set was started back in 1976 or so. That was the year I got into collecting coins because of the "really cool looking coins" issued in 1976. This set, in the making for 32 years was completed about two weeks ago when I overpaid for a 1942S in EF/AU condition (around 8.50 with shipping). The set contains VG to MS coins as you can see in the pictures below. I always tried to find (many of these were found but upgraded over the years) and purchase the best key dates I could afford. In this set the 1914D-F, 1909SVDB AU, 1931S-EF, 1924D-F, with some other EF coins mixed into the teens and VG mixed in the 20s & 30s. My goal had been to make this an EF set but I was sidetracked by all the other coins. I am happy with this set as it is with the exception of a few RD coins in the 40/50s that do not match the others.

With this momenteum, I am going to take on my Walking Liberty missing 6 coins, and Liberty nickels missing 3 the 1885,86,88.

I hope you guys like this set as it has brought me great joy in working on it. Next to the Walking Liberty set it likely my favorite.

7103-P1O.jpg

7103-P1R.jpg

7103-P2O.jpg

7103-P2R.jpg

7103-P3O.jpg

7103-P3R.jpg

7103-P4O.jpg

7103-P4R.jpg

Awesome job there; absolutely awesome - I love nice chocolatey Lincoln cents. I'm almost done with my 1909-2008 set, but it's going to be a while before I can afford the real stoppers. I'm almost down to the final keys and semi-keys:

* 1909-S VDB

* 1909-S

* 1911-S

* 1912-S

* 1913-S

* 1914-D

* 1914-S

* 1915-S

* 1922 Plain

* 1924-D

* 1931-S

* 1970-S SD

and for some reason, I haven't gotten around to finding a 2002-D of all things.

What's up with your steelies? The P looks a lot different from the D and S.

Congratulations on a job well done. There is a great satisfaction derived from completing a task. 32 years makes it all the sweeter :applause:

Since 1976...wow! I started a set then but sold it to buy my first car. It was an evenly matched set like yours but I only had the '14 D as a key date, none others. I miss that set so I am doubly impressed with your set!!! (thumbs u (thumbs u for perseverance and dedication!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats there Hoard. Istill have a few key dates below 1930 that I have to fill to complete mine, well bring it up to date anyway. Some I never will. Fine set there!!!!

Congrats on your set. I have started working on one of these myself. I also have the Lincoln Memorial album and it is almost full. Just missing some of the varieties of small and large date coins.

What I really like about your set is that they are all evenly matched. You prob. could have bought shiny red dates for the common dates, but you remained true to the grade throughout.

Very Nice!!

Congradulations. I noticed the album appears to be a Dansco or something similar. Is it? Is that a real 22 Plain or a weak D? Photo not clear enough to tell. I noticed no place for the 55 Double Die or 72 Double Die. I like that better than my Whitman Album with slots for all such errors.

You guys are great. Thanks for the kudos and to answer a few questions.

I thought those steel cents looked odd. I may have to go out and find a some nice EF/AU examples to replace those, including those few red cents I have.

Yes, it is a Dansco. I have just (2007) taken all my collections out of 2x2s and placed in these albums so everything matches. They look cool on the book shelf.

The 22 No D is a Die variety 1 - The D is not visible probably struck through grease and the reverse is a worn die with a die crack that runs through the O in ONE.

I do not own a 55 or 72 double die. I am not really into error coins.

Almost all coins were bought raw with very few exceptions. The key dates were never slabbed coins.

The set really did not take 32 years to complete, it was missing only twelve coins dating back nearly 15 years. I just never decided to finish it until last year when I bought the Dansco Albums.

Many thanks for the nice comments.