• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George has a suntan?

23 posts in this topic

Im not a toned coin collector and I found this today looking at my states.

I was wondering if anyone has seen one that has toning like this. Only on the bust.

Also what can I expect the coin to do in years to come?

It is a NGC PF69 Silver 2000 Maryland.

marylandNGC.jpg

Forgive my poor camera image.

:)

I hope it's not a reaction to something within the NGC slabs...( gas? plastic composition?)..interesting that they have the year 2000 in common..

I hope it's not a reaction to something within the NGC slabs...( gas? plastic composition?)..interesting that they have the year 2000 in common..

My set was toned like this before being slabbed by NGC

Cool Images... I think they have a nice look when the tone like this.

Thanks for the info

They might look nice to some people providing that the process does not continue. :o Sometimes when toning starts to form it just keeps going until the coin is ugly as mud.

At the NGC luncheon one speaker made the point that some Proof coins start going bad as soon as they are cracked out of their mint holders. It might have something to do with the stuff the mint uses to clean the planchants before the coins are stuck. For that reason NGC has recommended that collectors send the holder to NGC and let them do the crack out.

These sets toned in the original mint packaging. I have a few sets that are toned like this still in original silver proof sets. Even a few of my PMMs have this toning.

My 2000 silver set is the same way.. Here is a quick shot sorry for the poor pics

00000tj9.jpg

0000ae3.jpg

I think it's interesting that ALL the coins that are toned are in a MULTI-HOLDER and that in the Multi-Holder, EVERY coin is toned.

I have a couple of early state quarters that are toned, 1999 Delaware for instance, but it's actually a clad quarter interestingly enough, not silver. I also bought it that way, so I can't say what extremes it may have been exposed to before I got it, or if it was toned before it went into the slab (I mention it because it's a PF70 Ultra Cameo), and I wonder if it would still be. I know, I know, toning doesn't necessarily affect grade, but, does it? It can affect eye appeal, and thus potential re-sale value. Buy the coin, not the holder, that's what they say, don't they?

I mean, once it's in a slab, coins CAN tone, but that is generally over MANY years and generally only if a coin is exposed to extreme conditions (heat, sunlight, humidity, etc.)

Then, take the fact that EVERY coin of the five in the MULTI-HOLDER toned?

hm

I have had some issues with the multi-holders, specifically that they crack easily, generally during transit. The single slabs I've dropped numerous times (not that I go out of my way to drop them, but it happens), and no damage ever occurred. A Multi-Holder on the other hand, packed in a box with other slabs, wrapped the same way as the others, and it's the only one that cracks. In fact, both of the ones in the box crack. Then, I get one from another seller, it cracks during transit too. And then from another. A pattern emerging?

All the sellers were glad to either refund or replace, so that wasn't the issue, but there does seem to be something up with the multi-holders and their sturdiness.

Let's face it, they are a relatively new item, and thus, relatively untested for time.

I have to wonder, might yours be cracked in some way, or have some damage that might not be notable, thus causing the toning of ALL FIVE COINS?

I mean, even in OGP, how many times do all five coins in a proof set tone the exact same way? Seriously? Again that leads me back to the multi-holder. I find them appealing, but if they are not secure, it could be an issue.

I actually, just yesterday I think, sent a suggestion to NGC to consider examining the Multi-Holder for "sturdiness" because of the problems I had during shipping. Dealers I know have since gone to more extreme measures to protect them in transit and they have survived, but...

My idea is that due to recent discoveries of COUNTERFEIT NGC holders, NGC is working on redesigning things, or new security features. My suggestion was that if any part of their redesign might include the holder itself, perhaps the multi-holder could be re-examined for greater stability.

Ever thought about showing your multi-holder and those coins to NGC?

OR submitting them to NGC for Appearance Review? I know that TECHNICALLY toning does not necessarily affect a coin's grade, but don't ya wonder?

Would you, as a buyer, prefer a clean set of state quarters or a toned one, given a choice? Which would evoke greater confidence? We're not talking a Morgan Dollar or something older for example, so keep in mind the subject matter, a VERY contemporary state quarter, put into a slab very recently, and presumably TONED after being encapsulated, which is not impossible, but UNUSUAL, except over LONG periods of time, or except in extreme conditions as I previously mentioned.

Ok, I've gotten long-winded here.

I wonder if others have interesting experiences with the multi-holder, other than just a personal preference issue. I mean I happen to like the notion of them. However, with the breakage rate I've had, that is a turn-off for me.

Now, seeing all this toning on such recent issues, it concerns me even more. :o

the marine coin looks nice with the subtle golden color...not sure I like the blotchiness of the dark brown on the multi set

I happen to agree about the Marine Coin, it's got some eye appeal. Those clad half dollars tend get a little golden, and if it's just right, it can really add to the look of the coin.

However, I fear that others (potential buyers if re-sale becomes a factor down the road), would not appreciate the color coming out on the coins on the multi-holder.

Are we in the minority or the majority?

I wish I knew how to set up a poll here. I am gonna try it, but I have tried it before unsuccessfully, so don't expect much.

IF I was successful, I think I added a poll which should go up now, and stay active for a week.

I have to wonder, might yours be cracked in some way, or have some damage that might not be notable, thus causing the toning of ALL FIVE COINS?

Ok, that clearly lends support to the notion that toning does not affect the grade, officially anyway.

Whether it affects marketability is another story.

I'm hoping toning will not affect the grade with the toning on the rim of a 2000 A.S.E, I currently Came to own. I believe it will grade a MS70, But I'm a little afraid with the unusual toning. :pullhair: ( I will be posting another journal as soon As I start to know more about my next submission!)

I would Post Pictures but it is in the Box to be sent off tomorrow to NGC for grading. :wishluck:

I think the Toning on the 2000 Set and Washington Quarter make it look really nice compared to what it looked like before. ^^ I have checked and none of my statehood quarter sets posses any of that gold toning... hm

I'm hoping toning will not affect the grade with the toning on the rim of a 2000 A.S.E, I currently Came to own. I believe it will grade a MS70, But I'm a little afraid with the unusual toning. :pullhair: ( I will be posting another journal as soon As I start to know more about my next submission!)

I would Post Pictures but it is in the Box to be sent off tomorrow to NGC for grading. :wishluck:

I will be curious about how the ASE turns out, grade-wise, with the rim-toning. I ask because I have some Silver Britannias that toned in their OGP.

ALSO because I recently came to acquire one or two ASEs in ANACS slabs that had some HEAVY toning around the rims, not terribly attractive either, kind of blackened actually -- I am calling them my "Cajun Eagles" The photos when I bought them didn't look AS bad as when I got them, and it was disclosed, so it was buyer beware.

In fairness, I only paid about $17 each, and they are graded MS69, so I basically paid melt value for slabbed coins -- if nothing else, I should get myself down to a silver shop and get some cash. Or maybe you'll come back with good news and say the color doesn't affect the grade on yours and I'll feel lucky and send mine for crossover.

Will you share the outcome with us>

I will be curious about how the ASE turns out, grade-wise, with the rim-toning. I ask because I have some Silver Britannias that toned in their OGP.

ALSO because I recently came to acquire one or two ASEs in ANACS slabs that had some HEAVY toning around the rims, not terribly attractive either, kind of blackened actually -- I am calling them my "Cajun Eagles" The photos when I bought them didn't look AS bad as when I got them, and it was disclosed, so it was buyer beware.

In fairness, I only paid about $17 each, and they are graded MS69, so I basically paid melt value for slabbed coins -- if nothing else, I should get myself down to a silver shop and get some cash. Or maybe you'll come back with good news and say the color doesn't affect the grade on yours and I'll feel lucky and send mine for crossover.

Will you share the outcome with us>

I am dancing with anticipation and I havn't even gotten to the post office to drop them off. lol

But Yes I will Make sure to post how they turn out along with pictures, there will be a journal! But The Toning is actually a very Beautiful goldish color, it Is only on the rim from nearly 10PM to about 2am and Nowhere else on the rim, But yet travels on the actually surface of the coin all the way around the inside of the rim, only on the Reverse, but the tone ring is only about 1/10-1/4 inches wide. I did notice however when i was taking the eagle out of the Airtite to stick it in the 2x2. That were I had grabbed the rim with my glove at about 1am had whipped off quite a bit..... (shrug) So i Don't know Really what to do besides to send it in and see what it comes back... :baiting:

Those "Cajun Eagles" Do Sound pretty tasty, I think we have all had our own fair share of bad-encounters with disclosed auctions. I recently bought a lot off ebay of 20 silver eagles, yet when I received them they were all off quality toned/cleaned coins that the buyer had gotten nearly for scrap probably less than melt. You did score a nice deal on the price for MS69s however, nearly the price for the raw coin let alone the $12.50 for grading.

However I forgot to mention that the Eagle was Out of a 2000 millennium Set that was Unopened, So it was sitting in the OGP the whole time until I recently Opened it. :applause:

I Do have about 20 Modern Commeratives and about 16 Eagles I am gonna be sending in over the next couple weeks, So I'll Probably start my own topic with my updates and everything!!

Thanks Bob!!!

PS:..for future reference..NGC accepts coins in their OGP and airtites...this way we layman ( I'm all thumbs sometimes) don't have to handle them and add our prints or like me--drop them..