• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these two items genuine?

25 posts in this topic

It's hard to tell given the fuzzy photos and the AT toning that is hiding a lot. I'd say they are probably both counterfeits, the 1795 for sure. But from those photos it's hard to tell.

If real those would be five figure coins, and would be in a holder of some kind. I doubt very seriously if anyone would be trying to sell genuine five figure coins on ebay in a no reserve auction.

If real those would be five figure coins, and would be in a holder of some kind. I doubt very seriously if anyone would be trying to sell genuine five figure coins on ebay in a no reserve auction.
I believe the odds are that you're correct in this case. BUT, the fact that coins are being offered as uncertified and at no reserve doesn't automatically mean that they're not genuine. There are exceptions where valuable coins are sold without certification - in fact it occurs more frequently than proponents of certification want to believe.

It's possible those are real, but I think the chances are very slim. The seller knows enough to describe the 1795 as having a small eagle so he has done some research. Since he has looked up the coin he has to know that a genuine 1795 dollar in that condition is worth a lot of money.

He also says it was authenticated by a reputable coin shop. If that is the case the dealer would have advised him on the approximate difference in the value of the coin in certified vs raw. I also believe that if the coin were real the dealer would have made a substantial offer - likely more than the seller can get on ebay. A genuine raw 1795 dollar in AU - MS does not come around very often.

The other thing that makes me suspicious is that the seller has two 1884-S Morgan dollars listed in addition to the 1795. In looking at his feedback it appears previous sales were all under $100. So how is it that all of a sudden he has three expensive, raw coins listed at the same time?

P.S. I just sent the seller a note asking for the name of the dealer that authenticated the coin. I'll post his response.

It doesn't look genuine to me. And one reason to AT it would be to try to divert attention from the consideration as to whether it is counterfeit or not.

It doesn't look genuine to me. And one reason to AT it would be to try to divert attention from the consideration as to whether it is counterfeit or not.

Suspicion: High value coin photo looks like shot from outer-space. ;)

AT= :makepoint: Lady liberty from poor attempt at toning, looks like has a beard and or spiked chin. (:

P.S. Using red towel for back ground. Not genuine carpet. :roflmao:

Strategy: 2nd 84-s with blue linen towel. :o

By the blown up pic by Richard, I would say the 1795 may be counterfeit. Looks to have some pitting on the edges from possible casting, and again that could be some type of corrosion that couldn't be cleaned. With the original (sellers)pics, these would be hard to determine. ???????????

Hey Mark, How are you?

An auctioneer with that many auctions under his/her/their whatever belt has to know that an expensive piece, whether it be a coin or an old Egyptian artifact, would/should be shown with a better pic.

If for no other reason, and there are many other reasons, those pics do no more than take everyone for a fool, and lead me to keep my PayPal balance low.

Even a small pic in focus should be achievable by all.

I may not know the difference between a counterfeit and a real draped bust dollar, or a NT and AT morgan -- but I do know the difference between a carpet and a towel. ;)

As for the coins, I have no idea. The photos aren't large enough for me to tell, but the 1795 dollar looks odd.

The answer is revealed when you see where he purchased it from via eBay's buying feedback.
Pat, would you provide a link, please? I looked through 3 pages of the current seller's feedback as a buyer before I gave up. (shrug)

The answer is revealed when you see where he purchased it from via eBay's buying feedback.
Pat, would you provide a link, please? I looked through 3 pages of the current seller's feedback as a buyer before I gave up. (shrug)

Mark, I base my conclusion on the fact that months ago, when I was gathering a few of these (all of which I still own...) I was outbid twice by that same seller.

Here is one of mine. See if it differs, outside of brightness, to his:

1795x.jpg

1795xx.jpg