• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whaddya think of this DMPL Morgan?

29 posts in this topic

It's a nice looking Morgan but I'm not seeing the DMPL here. Maybe if the fields are mirrored in-hand much better than the pics, then I would say maybe PL and looks to be MS63-64.

The mirrors are probably about the deepest of any DMPL you've ever seen. I'm not exaggerating when I say that. I just bought the coin back from the dealer I sold it to about 1-2 years ago. You can practically shave in the reflection of this coin.

It's a nice looking Morgan but I'm not seeing the DMPL here. Maybe if the fields are mirrored in-hand much better than the pics, then I would say maybe PL and looks to be MS63-64.
Looks to me like ICG got it right...it's just a low quality scan IMO.

Perhaps after my class at this year's Summer Seminar in Digital Photography, I'll actually know how to take some decent pix. This will be one of the first coins I'll try to capture.

It's in an ICG MS64DMPL holder. Actually, those pictures with adjusted contrast do make it look a bit more like what it would look like in-hand. From what I understand, DMPLs are not uncommon for 1886 but I think the Cameo isn't all that common.

The picture is at fault here - adjusted you can see the contrasts better

Looks to be a nice coin

For lots of reasons, you simply can't "adjust" the photo when trying to draw conclusions on the coin. Particularly contrast adjusments on a PL/DMPL morgan. To do so is a mistake, in my opinion, as increasing contrast will make a PL coin look DMPL -- particularly without having the coin in-hand to judge (and Prethen's comments notwithstanding). Respectfully...MIke

It's in an ICG MS64DMPL holder. Actually, those pictures with adjusted contrast do make it look a bit more like what it would look like in-hand. From what I understand, DMPLs are not uncommon for 1886 but I think the Cameo isn't all that common.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was Cameo it would be a proof and then yes Cha Ching!

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was Cameo it would be a proof and then yes Cha Ching!

Well you asked for it. ;) Cameo is not limited to proofs.

You can get some good deals on EBay every once in a while . I was looking the other day and saw a 1878 7/8 Tail Feather in a NGC holder with a grade of MS62.I checked the cerrtified number etc and everything looked good.

Numismedia has it at $174.00. I saw an ad by a dealer in a magazine that was asking $250.00 for the same date and grade.

I don't see too many 7/8 offered in any grade.Earlier in trhe day it was at $60.00 an when I checked back 1/2 hour before the bidding ended it was at $81.00. I took a chance and bid $104.00 as a maximum and picked it up at $103.50 so apparently not many people picked up on it.

Usually its then opposite and people over bid.

Nice coin, next best thing to a proof. (thumbs u

The matte finish on the devices, especially the cheek, are in pretty good shape it seems from the photos, the fields seem fairly clean too, easily a MS64 DMPL.

I've had a DMPL Morgan for my type set before getting a proof and while looking for it I noticed that it doesn't take much in scratches and scuffs to cause big distractions in eye appeal with these coins. A Morgan with a normal strike and appearance I don't think you'd notice the marks much that can make a DMPL look bad. The deep mirrored fields show every little ding or hairline also.

I love seeing these coins in like a MS66/67 condition, the deep contrast between the frosty details and the highly reflective fields is like that of current proof coins; a little more eye catching than many 19th century proof Morgan Dollars, (killer toned PF68 cameo dollars are excluded).