• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grades are Grades?

11 posts in this topic

To start with I am in no way picking on anyone. Just wondering a few things.

Now my questions and thoughts:

I have seen this phrase a lot “ I don’t know the series so I can’t guess the grade very well”

Is there is different grading scale for each series of coins?

Are moderns graded different than older coins?

Are silver and gold coins graded different?

If any question is answered yes, then I ask is there a set grading scale and isn’t it used?

Isn’t a contact mark a contact mark on any coin regardless of when or how it was made?

I understand each coin has high and low spots, and other factors. But isn’t “wear” wear?

And so on?

I have and still use a chart such as this

LINK...... to help me grade coins.

Can I have some help on my thoughts form the members here?

hm

Wear is wear; a contact mark is a contact mark regardless of the coin series. However, yes, one does have to know the characteristics of the particular coin series he is grading. He even further has to know the characteristics of the particular date/variety he is grading. For example,

1811-113o.jpg

Looks like G to VG at best.

Now look at the reverse, though.

1811-113r.jpg

It is impossible to properly grade this coin without knowing that the obverse die in this marriage was worn out and that even right out of the coin press this coin only showed what would amount to VF detail.

Now look at this seated quarter. Is it MS or AU? Is that wear on her boobs and hand or is it simply less than fully struck?

1849quartero.jpg1849quarterr.jpg

In this particular case knowledge of the series says that this particular coin is usually very well struck. This is an AU coin (contrary to what both ANACS and then PCGS called it--MS-62).

The 1849 quarter is an AU-58 all day long. There are multiple contact marks and circulation marks in the fields which are the hallmarks of a lightly circulated coin. Unfortunately the grading services give out MS-61 and 62 grades to nice AU coins.

I don't think that the metal content would effect grading, but different types of coins wear differently than others and in different places. I think this knowledge is needed when you're grading coins. Who knows what coins have gone thru in thier lifetime. Wear can be caused by many things, but the knowledge of what can get effected first thru circulation or die is a needed asset. IMO

I think along with ok's great point about knowing which dates are weakly struck and which is actual wear within a series---it is important to know where a coin/series will wear first. This helps distiguish between nice AU's and MS coins....for example, a buff collector would automatically look at the hip bone on the reverse and cheekbone on the obverse to look for slight wear...certain series I don't know the high points..

The earlier branch mints, particularly New Orleans and Carson City, received old worn dies from the mint at Philadelhia. Their coins are struck differently, sometimes poorly struck due to press settings and are also harder to grade because of incomplete strikes due to worn dies.

Early issues were struck on screw presses and are never fully struck. Gold coins from Charlotte and Dahlonega tend to be poor strikes and not fully struck up which can look like a rub. Gold coins, particularly the Pratt design of incuse indian quarter and half eagles are notoriously hard to grade.

Gold coins do not tone the way as silver, bronze or copper coins do. These series can be diffucult to grade. Super rarity issues are graded higher than common dates, in many cases. Coins that are 150 years, or more, old can be difficult to grade because of surface toning (if not dipped and stripped).

Learning to grade is a long term proposition requiring looking at many coins at shows and reading books about series. It is all a continuing education process. I have been collecting incuse design gold indians for 40+ years and still have trouble grading them.

I think along with ok's great point about knowing which dates are weakly struck and which is actual wear within a series---it is important to know where a coin/series will wear first. This helps distiguish between nice AU's and MS coins....for example, a buff collector would automatically look at the hip bone on the reverse and cheekbone on the obverse to look for slight wear...certain series I don't know the high points..

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Knowing the wear patterns is key to grading coins - and they are different for each series. Yeah, you can generally ballpark it by estimating about how much wear there is. But if you are not very familiar with what an unworn piece looks like, you can't very well judge how much detail is missing, either.

As Bill mentions, coins with obvious wear and are technically AU are often given MS grades. This is called Market Grading and is the practice of assigning a grade based on what the coin is estimated to be worth. Usually Market Grading is only used to increase the numerical grade, not decrease it.

Many TPGs employ market grading and the ANA grading guide now talks about it as well. To perform Market Grading, not only will you need to understand the specifics of the type and die variety, but also how much coins in various states are currently selling for in the market.

Noone has commented on the chart in the link Jeff S has provided. Is it useful, as in just a VERY general/vague opinion, or...........?

In reality the chart is useless as it is too general. If you're going to grade coins you need specifics, not generalities.