• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will I hit a home run or will I strike out?

19 posts in this topic

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the forum. I took a detour and headed for the online bidding in the Scotsman Winter Sale. I checked the status of my bids a few hours ago, and I went 3-for-3.

Now, you may be wondering which Morgan lots did I win, and the answer is NONE! because I didn't bid on any of them. Yep, my detour landed me in left field on the warning track. Instead, I placed my bids on 1) a complete set of Franklins in a Capital Plastics holder, 2) 10 - 1961 and 8 - 1963 Unopened Proof Sets, and 3) 60 - 1964 Unopened Proof Sets.

Do you think I'll find a DDR Franklin or two in the 1961 Proof Sets? What about a 1961 DDO or 1963 DDR Washington? And of course, there is also the chance that I may find one or two Accented Hair Kennedy's in the lot of 60 unopened 1964 sets.

I know that it is just a shot in the dark and I may very well end up batting .133, but at least I get to have the fun of opening all of those proof sets that have been sealed for 44, 45 & 47 years.

Chris

Chris, I was 0 for 2. I had a strong bid on a G4 1799 bust dollar that sold for $675 plus juice and on a no stars AU50 half dime. They both went for above FMV. Man, I wish it was the '90's again and I was actively pursuing early type then.

Go to bed old man ( Chris ) this is MY territory - the wee hours that is :)

60 - 1964's :)

If you need any help opening any I will be right down hahahahah

at $12 a piece you already did :)

I'll fight you for it. :devil:

Chris, if you find any 1961 Franklin DDR's, I will hate you forever. (unless you ship me one, of course ;) )

Chris, if you find any 1961 Franklin DDR's, I will hate you forever. (unless you ship me one, of course ;) )

According to the CPG, there are three. Their estimated values in PF65 are $30, $50 & $2500. :o

Chris

Can't sleep.........personal matters on my mind.

According to the CPG, there are three. Their estimated values in PF65 are $30, $50 & $2500. :o

Chris

There are three listed in the CPG, but that doesn't mean much. The big one though, that's the really cool one. It ranks right up there with the 1955 Lincoln, you can see it quite plainly with the naked eye.

I just went and browsed through the colonials in the auction, and most, if not all of them sold above the high estimate. One coin even sold for over 2X the high estimate.

No chance on the 61 DDR but I think you may get lucky and find a few Cameo's in the bunch. As for the 64's......I am guessing no AHs but I hope I am wrong on all accounts and you make a killing :wishluck:

No chance on the 61 DDR but I think you may get lucky and find a few Cameo's in the bunch. As for the 64's......I am guessing no AHs but I hope I am wrong on all accounts and you make a killing :wishluck:

Out of 60 sets he will find 7-8 AH's and make a bundle selling them to Russ ATS.

Chris

There are three listed in the CPG, but that doesn't mean much. The big one though, that's the really cool one. It ranks right up there with the 1955 Lincoln, you can see it quite plainly with the naked eye.

There are well more than 3 DDR for this coin. CPG may only list 3, but there are numerous DDRs. Only one has any real value.

Chris

There are well more than 3 DDR for this coin. CPG may only list 3, but there are numerous DDRs. Only one has any real value.

Yes, that's the one I want! Maybe I'll get 4 or 5 of them out of the lot, then I can sell one to physics-fan to keep him from hating me too long. lol

Chris

Total cost plus juice and shipping was $837.75. That's less than $2.80 per coin, and I get to have all of the fun! I should be receiving them by the end of the week. If you're planning on visiting this weekend, you can go with me to a 9-Ball tournament at a new poolroom, here, in Cape Coral.

Chris

If you're planning on visiting this weekend, you can go with me to a 9-Ball tournament at a new poolroom, here, in Cape Coral.

Chris

I would not give you the pleasure of Embarrasing me :)

If you're planning on visiting this weekend, you can go with me to a 9-Ball tournament at a new poolroom, here, in Cape Coral.

Chris

I would not give you the pleasure of Embarrasing me :)

I don't take pleasure in trying to embarrass anyone just because they happen to know little about a particular sport. In fact, I find more enjoyment trying to help someone learn about the game of billiards. There is one philosophy about pool that I have maintained for nearly 50 years............ You can't learn the finer points of the game if you only play against opponents you can beat!

Chris

Chris, I was 0 for 2. I had a strong bid on a G4 1799 bust dollar that sold for $675 plus juice and on a no stars AU50 half dime. They both went for above FMV. Man, I wish it was the '90's again and I was actively pursuing early type then.

It went to a floor bidder who was ecstatic. Quite a nice coin in my opinion, but I thought the winning bid was pretty strong.

I just went and browsed through the colonials in the auction, and most, if not all of them sold above the high estimate. One coin even sold for over 2X the high estimate.

I got the one I wanted :) !

Chris, the Frankies went to a floor bidder, didn't they? They were NICE.

I was the underbidder on the incredibly toned set of killer Ike dollars. I gave out at about $500. Came to find out after the sale that the high bidder (internet) was willing to go to $900 :o:o:o !

I won the set in the Capital Plastics holder (Lot #287) for $650. Is that the one you mean?

Chris

I won the set in the Capital Plastics holder (Lot #287) for $650. Is that the one you mean?

Chris

Yes, my mistake! There was another set in a Dansco album that was also nice, and it went to the floor bidder.

GOOD JOB! You stole that set. I think you're going to really like it.....