• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US MINT Warehouse Closed 1 - 2 weeks - Tornado Damage

25 posts in this topic

I didn't see this posted, but if it was already posted I apologize for the duplicate information.

I called the US Mint today concerning an update on a couple of my orders that are showing up as "On Hold" and was told by the customer service representative that the US Mint shipping warehouse was damaged in the string of tornados that hit the south during Super Tuesday and is closed until further notice. Currently, the US Mint does not have any estimate on when the warehouse will be re-opened or when they will be able to resume shipping operations.

It seems that the US Mint didn't know how to approach this subject initially as when I called on Wednesday (the day after Super Tuesday) I was told that the payment for my order was "Under Review" under their "new" fraud screening system implemented when they switched their website operations over to the new provider. I was also told that a US Mint representative would call me within 24 hours to verify that I actually ordered the items and the credit card used was issued to me. Of course, I never received any call from the US Mint so that is why I called back today.

When I explained to the US Mint customer service representative that I spoke with today that I was told another story just a couple of days ago, she finally admitted that my order was never "Under Review" for payment verification and that they didn't have any way to code "Warehouse Closed" in the system, so many orders defaulted to "On Hold - Payment Verification".

Also, since the warehouse is closed until further notice, the representative I spoke with today told me that they have a large backlog of orders built up and it may take them several days/weeks to catch up when the warehouse is re-opened, with all orders processed on a First In - First Out basis.

So if you are waiting for your order to ship from the US Mint, hopefully this will help.

Sean

SRWNC

I just saw this message on the US Mint website (was not there earlier today). Looks like they will not start shipping again or up to two more weeks.

"February 7, 2008 - Due to the severe weather in the Tennessee area, the United States Mint is currently not shipping from its fulfillment facility in Memphis for the next one to two weeks. Expedited shipping will not be available until further notice. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please be assured that we will ship your orders as soon as possible."

Sean

SRWNC

I forget, just where was the Mint Distribution center located? Someplace in TN wasn't it?
The warehouse is in Memphis, TN. In fact, there are quite a number of government facilities in the Memphis area--most of it associated with the Department of the Treasury. Much of this happened during the 1980s when they had this senator named Albert J. Gore, Jr.

Scott :hi:

Well, as a guy who had a ship date of 2/05/08, with an expected delivery date of 2/06/08...trust me, I talked to a number of managers at the Mint, as they kept putting the onus of posession on Fedex...but Fedex doesnt have them in the system, just the DATA for the package had been transmitted. Now, my delivery date is blank, and STILL just shows the data only being transmitted. Today, I talked with Fedex, 'No sir, we still do not physically have your orders, the Mint hasnt given them to us....havent been scanned in to the system'. I talk to the Mint, and FINALLY get a guy who is down to earth, and I just come out with it and say, 'Come on, tell me the truth...your fulfillment center is in the area of where those tornadoes/storms hit, isnt it?'....Yes sir, it is, and all I can tell you is it could take 1-2 weeks for the items to ship (items that were scheduled to

I checked and my order is now backdated for 6 weeks...I only ordered (2X) the Dollar and Medal sets...couldn't afford the gold coin right now (saving for an MS66 41-S walker) and just don't like the baby birds on the half...is it just me or are baby birds rubbery lookin and gross?..even eaglets...

I wonder if we will see any NGC/PCGS certified "Tornado Effect" Eagles? hm

You were probably joking, but I've got to tell you, I was wondering if the coins may have been damaged in the warehouse, or may have been swept away in a twister, I mean, it could happen!

I've seen coins on eBay certified by NGC as 9/11 WTC Recovery Silver Eagles, why not Mint Tornado Recovered Bald Eagles?

Stranger things my friends, stranger things. :kidaround:

Just an update, the US Mint removed the notice of the shipping warehouse being closed from the main page of the online ordering website. There is no notice of them being back up and running, actually I couldn't find any reference to the warehouse closing/reopening anywhere on the website. It's like it never happened.

I checked my order status online and they still shows as being "on hold". I will be calling them on the phone later tonight to inquire if they are back up and running and the status of my orders, and I will update this thread with any new information.

Sean

SRWNC

I just called the Mint's toll free number and the woman I spoke with said that they were "a few days" behind. She would not clarify what "a few days" meant! (shrug)

Just an update, the US Mint removed the notice of the shipping warehouse being closed from the main page of the online ordering website. There is no notice of them being back up and running, actually I couldn't find any reference to the warehouse closing/reopening anywhere on the website. It's like it never happened.

I checked my order status online and they still shows as being "on hold". I will be calling them on the phone later tonight to inquire if they are back up and running and the status of my orders, and I will update this thread with any new information.

Sean

SRWNC

It's odd, they don't seem to be forthcoming, sometimes they tell you, sometimes they don't. They will put it on the web site, then they take it down. Then they email it to you, but won't tell you over the phone. I mean, what's the big secret? If it's a service impact, tell people the service impact, don't dance around it!

I'm not sure exactly what they mean by a few days either, however, I got automated emails on Friday from the Mint regarding a couple of my subscriptions, and the emails referred to delays because of the weather.

The emails were follow-ups because previous emails said that the items were on their way. These emails say this (and were dated 02/15/2008) -- FYI, I got this on several items:

Dear United States Mint Subscription Series Customer:

Due to transition in service providers and the recent severe weather in the Tennessee area, the United States Mint has been unable to generate and ship your subscription order(s). We have, however, reserved inventory for your order(s) and expect to resume shipping within one to two weeks. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused.

We deeply appreciate your continued patience and thank you for allowing the United States Mint the opportunity to fulfill your numismatic needs.

:o

If they'll send auto-generated emails about it, why won't they tell people of they call, and why not leave the notice on the web site? :screwy:

I guess that would make TOO much sense. :insane:

According to the Mint there has been damage to the roof of the Building and no damage was done to the Inventory inside.

There has also been Security people posted by the New Vendor to ensure the safety of the Numismatic inventory.

According to the Mint there has been damage to the roof of the Building and no damage was done to the Inventory inside.

There has also been Security people posted by the New Vendor to ensure the safety of the Numismatic inventory.

Wow, you got someone forthcoming -- how'd you get that out of them?

Waterboarding?

:jokealert:

Well in all Reality Just think about what size vaults and Heavy Steel/Metal/Concrete that Store the Inventory. I Could see the Actual Building being Damaged but the Actual Vaults that Weight a Couple tons If not more not being damaged( I can see it now, A Standing Vault in the Middle of Wreckage lol). The Vaults are probably Built to withstand any type of National Disaster that may occur without notice, such as Flooding or in this case Twisters/Tornadoes.

The notice about the damage to the Tennessee facility was removed from their website and some have reported receiving recent orders, including one that placed an order via the website the day of the tornadoes. The facility was not closed long (about 5 days) and the US Mint is processing orders.

Coin World reported that only the Roof was damaged and that the New Vendor had provided Security to protect the Inventory and that they claimed there was no Damage to the Numismatic Inventory.

By the time that Coin world recieved the info and published it and it was received by Subscribers could have been a week or two if not longer.

I have not ordered anything from the Mint lately but I would guess that you are correct and the time lag has been more then enough to resume shipping.

Thnks

I still haven't gotten stuff I ordered mid-January (20th, I think). :(

I went through my order history today, I have orders going back to December...

Some show as

in stock and reserved...

backordered and expected to ship 02/29/2008

you name it, I saw it...

personally, since I got my ASEs which were the ones with the Time Sensitivity with NGC for the Early Releases, I can wait for the Mint -- the longer they wait, the longer it is before the charges hit my AMEX, and that's just fine with me! :applause: