• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Like Gold.

9 posts in this topic

I bought a 1904 Liberty Head NGC MS62PL. I actually already own a 1904 MS62, just have no clue if the PL brings extra value. I only have PL Silver, and not sure if PL Gold is that special or not. Any advice is appreciated.

Neat stuff. No idea on if it has extra value, but I would imagine anything with PL surfaces might have added value. I think typically PL morgans might sell for more than morgans that arent PL like. What denomination is it? ($20?)

Perhaps you could post a picture of it?

prooflike gold is not as common os PL morgans but they are available and especailly so on the 1904

also with the 1904 ms62 usually the prooflike does not improve the price as there are many and below ms64 the prooflike amplifies the marks so a pl 1904 usually does not look that great below ms64 usually............ now something like a true gem ms65 pl 1904 might be common in ms65 but with the pl designation a TRUE prooflike ms65 would be multiples of a regular non pl 1904 twenty

The PL designation on gold can bring a premium. However, the 1904 $20 is probably the most common high mintage gold coin that can be found with PL surfaces. The 1904 date itself is super common with hundreds of thousands of unc examples available. While I won't say it is common with PL surfaces, I do see them for sale with regularity and they usually bring a modest premium - especially in a lower grade.

Chances are the premium will not be high (or that much) for a 1904 $20 gold in MS-62, PL. If the coin is MS-64 or higher (especially if it's higher) it is probably a different story. Then it can be big bucks.

The 1904 double eagle is super common. If the it were not for that date the Liberty $20 gold as a type coin would be FAR more expensive that what it is.

1904 $20 in NGC 62 PL have been selling for around $1200 recently. During 2007 the price range was $800 to $1200. NGC has given the PL designation to about 1000 $20s, and almost half were 1904.

I used to buy NGC PL gold, but I gave up when gold prices made the market crazy.