• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New bigger pics of 1909-S IHC. Please comment. (Updated)

22 posts in this topic

The coin appears to be genuine, but unfortunately I'd say both sides have been cleaned and recolored. By the looks of the surfaces, it makes me wonder why somebody messed with it in the first place. The basic grade looks to be Choice EF so why fool with it? Oh well. :sorry:

Comparing the coin to ones sold on Heritage shows the mintmark does not line up with the dentil like on the heritage examples. I am not sure that it is real.

1909-SIndianR.jpg1909-SIndianO.jpg

Here's another one. This piece eventually went into a PCGS MS-65, brown holder.

If there is any thing wrong with the lead coin, the "S" might be bolder than it should be. It has the right shape with "fat middle curve," but I guess an expert would have to look at this one with a 10X or even a scope to make sure.

Unless there are a couple of distinctly different dies, it looks to me like the S should line up directly over a dentil. The lead coin does not have that. I only looked at 3 examples on Heritage, and then yours, Bill, so maybe that is not enough, but this lead one looks a bit off.

I'm at work now, but I'll post a close-up shot of the mintmark / denticle area later. The S seems to be the right shape but hard to compare due to various states of wear between samples shown (mostly MS) and my coin (VF-XF).

I will be sending this off to ANACS (in case it has been previously cleaned) to have it authenticated in the coming weeks. Just need to consolidate a few coins to save on shipping.

One thing though, on my coin, the left half of the first feather is weak compared to the rest of the headress. An indication that it was not an added mintmark from the 1909-P.

It apears to me to have small spark erosion (raised marks) spiking from the top of the letters on the reverse, particularly the "N" & "E" in ONE. I would have to look at it under magnification, though. However, I am not an expert on 09-S cents.

It's a counterfeit ! See my other post for details.

Going back to the seller on Monday.

It appears, even without my 'evidence' you've made the discovery on your own.