• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pictures with your registered collection

15 posts in this topic

I recently registered my statehood quarter collection. I am considering adding pictures with them but it is a lot of work as anybody knows who has tried taking pictures of coins. I'm wondering if this is an exercise in self flattery, showing them off, or if there really is enough interest in them to justify the labor. I personally love looking at other peoples collections, and would like to share what I have. Some of them are just run of the mill but I like em just the same. grin.gif

I agree with you that making images available can be a real pain, however, I post images and comments with every coin that I list in my set. This is something that is really cool about the Registry in that you can not only see what other people like about their coins but you can also read about what they think about the series, coin or whatever. You should go ahead and share your collection and knowledge. thumbsup2.gif

To me a registry set without pictures and descriptions is very dull. It reinforces the idea of collecting the slab and not the coin. One of the many reasons I haven't registered my set yet is that I don't have ACCURATE pictures of all the coins.

Please don't take this as a slap at your collection or moderns, because it is not. However, with coins like state quarters there isn't that much variety and I'm not too sure anybody would be interested in pictures. If they are MS69s maybe. Perhaps MS68s of some of the harder to find coins. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to look at pictures of proofs as you can't tell a PF66 from PF70 in a photo.

Having said that, if you are proud of your coins (and you should be if you own them) and you want to invest the time and effort to photograph them and write descriptions, then by all means do that. However, just understand that there might not be a lot of people interested in looking at them.

Then again, it might be good practice taking the photos for any future registry sets that might be of greater interest.

I would agree with much of what's been said so far. I confess I don't have photos and descriptions with all of my sets, but the one set I care about most is my Saint-Gaudens double eagle set (currently ranked #10) has ample photos and descriptions of each coin in the set. Sometimes it's easy, like when there is something special about the coin, or the date, but sometimes it's more of a challenge. Like last week, when I added a 1926 Saint, not a rare date, not a super high grade, not even a very exciting year. But I did manage to find some interesting facts about the year which I added to the description. As for whether anyone likes it, or even cares, well, I am doing this not for other collectors as much as I am doing it for me. I enjoy that set, and enjoy looking at the photos, and adding to the descriptions, and if anyone else enjoys it too, even better. There have been a few people who have actually taken the time to e-mail me and compliment me on the photos and descriptions, and I appreciate that. There are many better sets on that list if you look at the points, but it's not really too fun to look at a list of coins! Here is a link to my Saint set if you'd like to take a look, and feel free to take any ideas from it on how to enhance your set. Speaking of which, I'll be the first to admit that State quarters don't set my heart awhirl, but there are so many things you can do with the descriptions, from talking about the design, to the history of each state, to your own experiences visiting that state. All of which would make your set a treat for yourself and others to observe.

I must say you have a very nice collection. thumbsup2.gif I like the pic's and the comments.

Your right about the list of points, pretty boring. I don't take offense to the comments made about moderns or the statehood series. If I was financially capable I would buy the older and more valuable coins (provided they were available). I have a lot of raw coins, ihp's,lincoln cents, buffs,jeffs, mercs,

rooseys, a few slq's,most of the wash quarters. Most are circulated but I like

em all the same. I went overboard with the statehoods, I admit. But its really cool to get 5 new ones a year while it lasts. smile.gif

I actually greatly enjoy making pictures of the coins. Even re-taking the coin's pic multiple times to try to capture what it looks like. So all my registry sets have pics with them. But I don't usually add much to the desc since the picture is right there. I sometimes look at other people's sets and like to see the pics of those coins, too.

I don't know about the registry set, but here is a link to my Lincoln set (posted in an earlier thread):

http://www.earlyus.com/lincolns.htm

The images aren't all that great, but I think they're acceptable, and the entire page took me less than a day to assemble - and I'm not a web designer! Of course, having all the coins stored compactly in a convenient Whitman album eases the imaging chore. Also, I did use a scanner, which is much, much faster than imaging with a digital camera.

If anyone wants more information on how I assembled that page, stop by at a show sometime.

James

James, I have a very nice AU 31-s that would look great in your set. PM me if you are interested.

Also your set looks great. I wish I have the patience to take pics of my lincoln set. It is also in XF or better. But I'm missing the 22 no D.

I'm slowly getting pictures and descriptions up in my largest set:

Legend Seated Dollar Collection

It's an effort, but well worth it!

Hey, how come your 1870-S $ (non-competitive, display-only) gets you 3 points in this set, but the 1925 Norse Medal (non-competitive, display-only) only gets me 1 point in my set? I think I'm being screwed. I deserve 2 more points! foreheadslap.gif

I post photos with my NGC registry set, I have not gotten around to my PCGS sey as of yet. I have fallen a little behind as there are some coins in my set without photos yet. Once I take them though they will be listed. You can follow the link at the bottom of my post to my NGC set.

TD

I've posted pictures and comments with nearly all of the coins that are in my type sets. It's been great to get some emails and PMs from those who have enjoyed them. It does take a lot of time to do it however.