• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone else collect Proof sets from the 1950s in the raw?

17 posts in this topic

Today is seems that a Proof coin does not amount to much unless it’s a cameo coin that had been put in a slab with a high grade on it. In old collectors strived to put together a run of Proof sets from say 1960 if you were on budget. If you were somewhat well to do you might got back to 1950. And if you will really a serious collector and had a large bank balance you went back to the 1936 to 1942 series.

Today it seems that cameo Proof singles are where it’s at, and the other stuff is of minor interest. Yet, there should be a place in advanced collections for original Proof coins that are attractive and have never been dipped IMO. These sets are clearly better than most of the stuff offered in “Coin World” ads, which is often “cull” PR-63 or lower pieces that have dipped to a dull finish, or which have unattractive spots or hairlines.

Here is a set that actually pretty tough in nice condition, the 1950. A far number of these coins were struck with a satin finish, which was unpopular with collectors. In a vain attempt to brighten these coins, collectors dipped the coins, which almost always made the situation worse.

The story on this particular set was that the original owner put it together as the best coins from five 1950 Proofs and saved it for his child. The child, now a young adult, consigned it to a Boston, Mass. bid wall where your author purchased at a premium price because of the overall quality. These pictures are a little rough, but you get the idea.

Let’s talk about other original Proof sets from this era.

1950ProofSetO.jpg1950ProofSetR.jpg

No, as I have been under the impression that these sets are not all from the same set and put together from multiple sets of where people are searching for the higher grades, CAM, and DCAM coins.

That might be true of many of the sets that are offered today. This 1950 set is the only one I have from the 1950 to 1964 era that is not in the original mint packaging. For that reason I know that I do own all original sets.

I have a group of five 1952 Proof sets that have original outside wraper just as they came from the post office. Two of the sets have never been opened, which is the only instance when I have done that. As for the coins, they are quite nice, but none of them are cameo or anything like that. I'm assuming that they all came from the same batch of over polished dies. They have great mirrors, but the details on the coins are not as sharp as you might think they would be because of die polishing.

I certainly do. I completed my complete run from 1950 - 1976 not too long ago, and am missing only ten coins overall to be complete from 1936 - 1976.

I'll shoot some images if and when I get a chance.

I have lots of proof sets from the 50s. They are all in OGP though, none in Captiol Plastic. In fact, prior to my re-introduction to collecting in a broader sense a few years ago, proof sets were all I actively collected. Lots of attractive coins that are affordable, in my opinon, and a wonderful way to get into coin collecting without much cost....Mike

No....Generally remain fully clothed when collecting proof sets or other coins.

I KNOW that my proof sets from 1954 - 1998 are original as I had submitted them myself for my Mulit HOLDER collection ( NOT RAW NOW - Slightly OT )

1953 back I have assembled into sets ...

Did you submit them some at a time or did you submit in Bulk and get a discount?

Some of them could be pretty expensive at $12.50 each when there is 5 -10 coins in each set and some coins are not worht the grading fees.

Did you submit them some at a time or did you submit in Bulk and get a discount?

Some of them could be pretty expensive at $12.50 each when there is 5 -10 coins in each set and some coins are not worht the grading fees.

Even with a BULK discount it was costly - But the set has been in my family for years so it was more of an act of love to preserve the coins as the packaging was getting damaged over the years.

I wish I had all the 50's proof sets. I collect proof sets also Bill. I have 1957, & 1959-2007 all in OGP. They get alittle costly for me in the years below what I have. That is a nice 50's set you have there. The capital holders is how I would like to build a nice 36' set.

I have all of the 50's except the 51 and 53 proof sets in OGP. The 53 set was sent to NGC for grading when I wasn't as smart as I am now. ( which isn't saying alot ) I continue to learn. I have a run of 55 to 64 in Capital plastics. I also have 39-42 in TPG plastic and hope to gather the 36-38 that I am missing. I agree that the proof sets from the early 50's will become more valuable in OGP in the future since they will be rarer than the slabbed specimens.

I still have several early 50's proof and mint sets from back in the day, some in Capitol holders some in original packaging. To be honest I am breaking up most of them for grading. A couple of the Franklins will probably make 67-68 and if they were to be sold raw they won't get anywhere near their value.

When I still collected US coins I had Proof sets to 1950 and Mint Sets to 1949, all in origial packaging. Never managed to find the rest even though I spent literally thousands of hours searching for them at shows and all over the net. Every show I would go to, I would search through every original Proof set and Mint set at every table that had any, every single time. Always searching for nicer sets. I managed most of the Proof sets with Cameo coins, but it took years. But in all that time searching I never once saw an original '36-'42 set and could never find the '47 or '48 mint sets. One of these days maybe I'll be lucky enough to at least see them.

I have proof sets in their mint packaging from 1953 to date, started collecting proof sets in 1970. My 1955 is in a flat pack, so I have only to years in their boxes. For 1960 I went the distance and have both the large and rarer small date cent proof sets.

This this the box to my oldest set, Mrs. B's birth year. (thumbs u I bought this set in 1979 for less than $50.

1953-box.jpg

Well that's just plain boring, hm here's the inside...

1953-proof-set-inside.jpg

The nickel has nice color and the half has a nice cameo reverse, but not much contrast on the obverse. All of the coins are bright with no toning or spots.

Mrs. B would me to send this set in to be slabbed in a multi coin holder, but I'm not real sure about not just leaving them alone, I've kept an eye on the coins over the years and haven't seen any changes. But is my luck running out? Should the set be holdered to keep the coins looking as they do?

Thoughts any one?

1952PR5sets.jpg

Here is a picture of the group of five 1952 Proof sets with the original mailing wrapper. The purchaser was Rev. James P. Donohue from Dorchester, Massachusetts. I’m guessing that Reverend Donohue was a Catholic priest.

There are some interesting pencil markings on the outside of the wrapper that indicate the Father Donohue had some concerns about his investment. There is the number “5” in a circle with 1/6/52. I’m guessing that was the date of the receipt although it seems early in the year to have gotten the coins. Father Donohue wrote “10.50” on the outside, which would have been the purchase price for five sets @ $2.10 each. Then beside that he wrote the following column of numbers:

--

The “91” was the face value of the coins in each set, and the “455” was the total face value of the five sets. I guess if worse came to worse the coins would sill be worth $4.55!

Overall I find this group of coins totally charming.

I bought this set many years ago from JJ Teaparty in Boston. They get a lot of neat stuff, and their shop is one of the few things I miss about not living in Boston any more.

There was one other Proof set related item that I wish I had purchased from Teaparty. It was a 1950 Proof set that was housed in presentation case that had been awarded to a member of Harry Truman’s cabinet. I forget the name of the cabinet member, but it was not one of the major posts, like secretary of state or Treasury. I didn’t buy it because the coins had been messed up by the presentation case that had yielded out some sort of goo. Still the asking price was something like $325 which was $125 or so below Gray Sheet bid at the time. The price certainly fair, but I did not buy the set because of the problems. Oh well …