• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many NGC boards EBAY sellers Plan to Boycott - Poll -

Do you as a SELLER plan to Boycott Ebay February 19-25 ??  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Do you as a SELLER plan to Boycott Ebay February 19-25 ??

28 posts in this topic

I am curious - I am leaning toward solidarity and joining it.

The Boycott is supposed to be February 19-25 -

I would think that would be a tremendous statement to EBAY that they messed up.

hmm One week in lack of revenue for coin sales has to be a hit for them ...

Its almost like Unionizing " The Coin Sellers of Amercia" - yeah the CSA :)

How about E: "It does not monetarily apply to me, but I support your decision to participate even though your clamoring will probably fall upon deaf ears."

Chris

How about E: "It does not monetarily apply to me, but I support your decision to participate even though your clamoring will probably fall upon deaf ears."

Chris

heheh I cannot change the poll but I did use Chris' #3 with the same poll

ATS

heheheh

You are correct. There are 132 million Sellers on EBay according to Meg.I would think that it would take a large number to show any difference. Perhaps even a small number showing intent will send the message.

It's been almost a year since I sold anything on ebay. I did sell a few coins in the Marketplace and BST ATS though. I have a few more to sell when I get around to it and will likely offer them here first.

I have also slowed down my buying on ebay in the past year, though that is mostly due to higher prices and poorer selection than anything else. I have only bought two items on ebay this year, neither one a coin, for a grand total of less than $50. I suspect I will be participating in the boycott even if I'm not trying.

I would gladly use some of the other alternatives but on ebay I typically started my auctions out at $0.99 and let them go. I don't think any of the other sites have enough user base to make me comfortable doing that. Hopefully that will change soon.

I probably won't pay any attention to the boycott for two reasons. One I seldom have much time to browse on ebay anymore, and two a one week boycott is merely a symbolic gesture with no real meaning or impact. A one week loss of all revenue would slightly annoy them. A one week loss of just part of their revenue (because there is no way you will get 100% compliance) may not even be noticed. Especially since like most ineffective called for boycotts, everyone will just shift their buying/listing one week either way and the weeks before and after make up the slack of boycott week.

For a boycott to be meaningful it has to go on long enough to be financially noticeable which means at least four months so it has to be reported in at least one quarterly financial report. Most of the truly effective boycotts in the past have had to last for over a year. A week is meaningless. They are more likely to take notice of sellers moving to other auction site on a more permanent basis than this boycott.

I am boycotting forever unless I have a very expensive coin to sell. My last auctions will be listed next Monday and then I quit and am actively searching for another venue. I frequent the trading slabs website but there aren't enough members to sustain any liquidation of inventory. I suppose the BTS ATS is an option but........

I have not sold anything on Ebay for quite a while, mostly because I've been busy and don't really have much to sell. However, I will be joing the boycott by not buying (or even visiting the website). Reduced traffic to their website will be just as noticeable. And I'm not so sure that this boycott is not going to have an effect - even the big news sources have several front page articles about the Ebay change and boycott (see CNNmoney.com for a prime example)

I probably won't pay any attention to the boycott for two reasons. One I seldom have much time to browse on ebay anymore, and two a one week boycott is merely a symbolic gesture with no real meaning or impact. A one week loss of all revenue would slightly annoy them. A one week loss of just part of their revenue (because there is no way you will get 100% compliance) may not even be noticed. Especially since like most ineffective called for boycotts, everyone will just shift their buying/listing one week either way and the weeks before and after make up the slack of boycott week.

For a boycott to be meaningful it has to go on long enough to be financially noticeable which means at least four months so it has to be reported in at least one quarterly financial report. Most of the truly effective boycotts in the past have had to last for over a year. A week is meaningless. They are more likely to take notice of sellers moving to other auction site on a more permanent basis than this boycott.

I agree. If the boycott lasts only a week I think eBay will think it's well worth the minor inconvenience to get their new polices accepted.

Exactly. As I mentioned earler there are 132 million Sellers on EBay and there would be no way to organize even 1% or 1.32 million in so short a time.

The few that do participate will not make any difference in a week.Only the Intent will be acknowledged which will mean next to nothing.

According to a poster on another Forum Ebay seems to be taking retaliatory measures for those who complain.

According to a poster on another Forum Ebay seems to be taking retaliatory measures for those who complain.

Seriously?

I mean, when I complained to eBay, I got an auto-reply telling me that if I wanted to submit comments, I first had to agree that if I did, the comments were the property of eBay and they could use them for any ideas they develop, your basic attempt at deflection, and continued by saying "IF you agree than any ideas you have are OURS TO KEEP, AND you still want to submit your inquiry, then do so here..."

Not that I got anything meaningful, but I got no threats or retaliation either.

If you believe ATS - They were supposedly banning people off the chat boards there ( EBAY Community ) for bad mouthing them ( Sounds Vaguely familiar )

Sounds believable,. Ebay has banned people for airing complaints on their chat rooms in the past. I could very easily see them banning people for daring to complain about having to pay higher fees while not being able to neg bad buyers, or having their money held by ebay for no stated reason.

After all, how dare they object to eBay taking more of their money.

I plan on leaving Ebay altogether as soon as a replacement online auction becomes available. This may be soon, later this year or next year-according as to how soon a reputable, well run auction becomes available. I plan on selling off over 250 or so BU coins(no moderns) when this occurs. I've sold most of my raw, circulated coins on ebay. They just continually prove to me that they have no clue as to what their customers truly want and apparently could care less. I cannot see being an instrument of theirs any longer. JMO

Unless this poll is conducted with sellers, who do a decent amount of weekly business, it doesn't mean much. After all, if you buy a coin on eBay once in a while, what's a week off ?

This needs to be conducted with sellers that, at least, do hundreds of dollars a week.

I'm going to sniff around on the net a bit and see if there are any other polls going on...

Paul

1/2 Hr later.....

There doesn't seem to be that much backbone here....At least not in my online search....

Purse forum

Paintball forum

boycott.jpg

With alot taking the week off from eBay this may be a good time for me to list a few to sell. With less competition I may get some good sells? Being a small time low volume wannabe collector.

With alot taking the week off from eBay this may be a good time for me to list a few to sell. With less competition I may get some good sells? Being a small time low volume wannabe collector.

OR that may be contrary to your own self interests. With fewer listings, people like to comparison shop, and while that may set you apart, it may do the opposite: It may have sellers hesitate and wait around until next week to see what comes back when more sellers return.

In contrast, it COULD be a good time to buy. Like the superbowl. IF people live up to the boycott, it could mean decreased competition, and lower bidding, which means BARGAINS.

OK, I just ruined it for everyone.