• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS Tracking Numbers 101

9 posts in this topic

The thread on filing a USPS claim was interesting reading until I got to the idea of

involving one's "congressional delegate" in one of the links. Now I'm just trying to stay calm.

With a valuable shipment overdue, I tried the tracking number I was given but the USPS system

did not recognize it (I'm attempting to see if that was just a typo on the sender's part.)

The delivery confirmation number showed "acceptance" but no further progress.

-Is the absence of a valid tracking number something to be concerned about if the

delivery confirmation number works?

-Am I correct that if there is ultimately no delivery, it is the sender who must start the

claims process under the time frames USPS has outlined?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about claims for something not delivered, but I do know that the USPS trkg # is a bunch of crock until it is actually delivered. They will not provide any shipping info until the item has been actually delivered, then it will update any info. During this time, the info will always show that it doesn't recognize the number or, it has been sent info of a possible shipping of an item. Really worthless!!!!!

Generally you can't track via insurance and the USPS doesn't have a tracking program such as UPS or FedEx. If the Delivery Confirmation number works then this is what you will need to use but once again it isn't going to tell you every stop the package makes.

The publicly accessible USPS system is not updated every night and generally you would have to have either a paid tracking number or a registered receipt number in order to look up a package's status. Regardless, the package may cross the country with little more than "Package accepted at..." until it reaches your door.

In some strange way, I find these responses comforting! ;)

I was also reminded that So Cal has experienced some

real weather which may help account for the delay.

Thanks!

Generally, in my experience, the USPS delivery confirmation number will show up within a day or two of the package being submitted for shipping (for D/C purchased at the PO). Then, the next update will be "item delivered on ...".

On the other hand, I once shipped from a tiny PO located in a florist's shop in a corner of town I rarely visit. They're not a full service PO - e.g., they only accept cash - it's just a small counter and a nook. They apparently never entered my delivery confirmation info into the system. The item got there okay, but the number never showed as valid at any time.

Minor edit: Referred to the d/c number as a tracking number - sort of a slangy way to refer to it, but d/c is correct.

The thread on filing a USPS claim was interesting reading until I got to the idea of

involving one's "congressional delegate" in one of the links. Now I'm just trying to stay calm.

With a valuable shipment overdue, I tried the tracking number I was given but the USPS system

did not recognize it (I'm attempting to see if that was just a typo on the sender's part.)

The delivery confirmation number showed "acceptance" but no further progress.

-Is the absence of a valid tracking number something to be concerned about if the

delivery confirmation number works?

-Am I correct that if there is ultimately no delivery, it is the sender who must start the

claims process under the time frames USPS has outlined?

Thanks!

The USPS numbers are, in their truest sense, not "tracking numbers" such as those that are used by UPS or FedEx. The numbers in these cases are commonly referred to as "Delivery Confirmation" numbers.

Delivery Confirmation should show when an item has been shipped, however, it sometimes takes several hours, if not at least overnight or 24 hours for an item to show as "Accepted" at a post office, and thus, essentially, shipped.

After that, the so-called tracking number is NOT scanned along the way, and is NOT scanned again until it reaches its destination Post Office. At this point, you generally see two more activity levels.

1. "Arrival at Unit" indicating that it was received at the local post office.

2. "Delivered" indicating that it was actually delivered to the recipient. There is not generally a signature for these and they will just be left in your mailbox (or wherever), unless the service requested was SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION rather than DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. A signature will also be required if the item was insured.

----------------

Based on what you've said, I'm getting a mixed message. Were you provided two numbers from the seller?

You said that you were provided a USPS "Tracking Number" that wasn't recognized and you hoped may just be a typo.

However, you continued by saying that the Delivery Confirmation number showed as "Accepted" without further progress. This is not uncommon at all, especially depending on the distance between where you are from where the shipper is, and thus how long it will take.

Also, if the item number is a REGISTERED MAIL number, which is also, and I use the term loosely, "trackable," the item will take longer in transit since Registered Mail tends to move more slowly because of the security involved. I only mention that because you indicated this was a valuable shipment, and many people turn to Registered Mail for high-value shipments, because it is the most secure method of shipping offered by the USPS.

As with Delivery Confirmation, however, Registered Mail numbers will NOT show tracking as the package progresses. It will ONLY show the details once the package has been delivered.

You can also "track" by email once you get these Delivery Confirmation numbers and so forth. You can plug in the numbers, and as long as it shows as "Accepted" or something (you can try to click on "Additional Details" to see if there are any).

After that, look just to the next paragraph essentially on the USPS.com page which says: NOTIFICATION OPTIONS and select "Track & Confirm by email"

You then enter your Delivery Confirmation or Registered Mail number, your email address, to and from info (though I often include eBay order numbers or Seller names in these fields) and you may opt to select to get one or two emails.

1st email: All activity to date. (OPTIONAL to check this box -- since this is old news)

2nd email: All future activity. (this may actually result in MORE than one emails. For instance, if an attempt to deliver your package is made to your home, but no one is there and notice is left, you will get an email telling you so. You would later get a THIRD email when delivery is finally made.

--------------------

:news:

To answer your last question, about who must initiate a claim if the package is not received. Technically, I believe the USPS allows EITHER party (shipper or recipient) to initiate the claim for loss. However, I believe the USPS requires the ORIGINAL SHIPPING RECEIPT, which means that in most cases when dealing with someone across country, it is the seller who will be required to initiate the claim. There are some additional quirks about who may do so - check out section 1.3 in the following information about Postal Insurance claims:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The USPS tracking number is needed for any potential paypal delivery dispute.

For transactions over $250, a return receipt is also needed.

I would suggest recording the USPS tracking number in your Sales Journal along with the sale transaction. I have had 2 instances of persons coming back months later and asking "has the item been dispatched" - one fellow even after he had posted positive FB a week after receiving it. Was he just forgetful or a scam artist?

I have purchased the Delivery Confirmation for packages sent to NGC and for one sent to Texas to ANACS before they moved.

The First thing I get is "Package accepted". I may get the " not updated check but later" but the next thing I get is Package delivered at San Antonio or Sarasota.

I am not sure if that means delivered to NGC or ANACS or the USPS?

There are no updates in between with the USPS as there is for UPS.

I am not sure what " Overdue " means as Mail from PA takes about 4 days from there to me in Florida and sometimes as many as seven from Texas at First Class.

Priority is different and 2-3 Business Days.

If the Confirmation number shows the package as being accepted at the point of departure and no delivery and the time has been too long then you need to contact the P.O.. They can tell.