• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Neat Find !!!!!

14 posts in this topic

about a week ago I posted a pic of a stamp from 1925 that makes a nice set with the Norse medal commem...

Here's a nice commem stamp from 1907 to go along with my 2007 Jamestown Commem and my 1907 So-Called Dollar Jamestown commem

52173-MVC-581S.jpg.f14419eecdbae7a5c04a0c3d22a3e1c7.jpg

52174-MVC-582S.jpg.7fd13a16004a8ce61f89c1b88f7f6b69.jpg

52175-MVC-583S.jpg.c65468abdd88a4987624925bbf65f6ef.jpg

52176-MVC-584S.jpg.187931e1c1e3e7dbe60c72a893d9823b.jpg

52177-MVC-668S.JPG.f407c5db2853099261e856b40f2473e8.JPG

thanks...I think I'll try and find if there is a Delaware commemorative stamp (with a sailing ship) since I have the US early commem, the Sweden 2 Kronor commem and the Delaware Tercentennary So-Called Dollar ( got the so-called dollar with the original program from the festivities..it got graded as finest known)..still wonder if they could place the stamp in the center of a multi-coin holder...Jackson

I have the same stamp.....would need to dig out my Scott book to come up with the exact number hm

Check that...it's a Scott 329 and here is some additional info:

Postage Stamps of the United States First Issued in 1907

President: Theodore Roosevelt

Postmasters General: Jan. 1- Jan. 14: George B. Cortelyou · Jan. 15 - Dec. 31: George von L. Meyer

Admitted to the Union: Oklahoma on November 16, 1907

Domestic Letter Rate: 2¢ per oz. · Postcard Rate: 1¢ · Registry Fee: 8¢ · Foreign Rate: 5¢

The Jamestown Exposition Issue

Flat Plate - 200 Subject Plates - Perf 12 - Double-line Watermark

First Day: April 26, 1907

77,728,794 issued

328.jpg

First Day: April 26, 1907

149,497,994 issued

329.jpg

First Day: May 3, 1907

7,980,594 issued

330.jpg

The Jamestown Exposition Stamps of 1907

As with the Columbian, Trans-Mississippi, Pan-American, and Louisiana Purchase stamps that preceded them and as with many of the "commemorative" sets issued in the following decades, the Jamestown stamps were issued to promote an exposition - the Jamestown Exposition of 1907 at what is now the Norfolk Naval Base in Virginia. For once, the date of commemoration actually represented an event, the 300th anniversary of the Jamestown Settlement in 1607.

To get around the law prohibiting the use of advertisements on U.S. postage stamps, a disclaimer of sorts - "Commemorative Series, 1907" - was placed on each stamp, rather than the name of the Exposition itself. And as with the earlier "commemorative" stamps, this gave rise to a variety of "JAMESTOWN CELEBRATION" and "EXPOSITION STATION" cancellations promoting and providing souvenirs for the event. Many of the cancellations and covers bearing these cancellations are very collectible today.

This Exposition was not nearly as successful commercially as the ones celebrated by the earlier commemoratives and sales of the stamps lagged far behind predicted volume.

As with the Pan American stamps, the design size was so large in comparison to the actual size of the stamp that well-centered copies of these issues bring substantial premiums, sometimes many multiples of catalog.

There is a slight discrepancy between the issue dates listed by various authors. Johl and the USPOD list the date as Thursday April 25, 1907 and Scott lists it as Friday April 26, 1907, the opening day of the exposition. Since the earliest known covers are from April 26, we are listing this as the date of issue.

The 1¢ Captain John Smith

Captain John Smith was an English adventurer and soldier, and led the expedition that founded the Jamestown, Virginia settlement. His account of the Virginia Settlement is quite interesting.

This stamp is exceptionally difficult to find well-centered.

The 2¢ The Founding of Jamestown

Although all of the stamps in this series are inscribed "Founding of Jamestown, 1607" this is the stamp that actually depicts the event itself. The April 26 issue date actually commemorates the 300th anniversary of Captain Smith's landing in Virginia. The settlement in Jamestown occurred nearly a month later, on May 24, 1607.

The 5¢ Pocahontas

Originally overlooked, the addition of Pocahontas to the set adds a romantic touch not seen in previous U.S. issues. The painting from which the engraving was made portrays a much more austere woman. To his credit, C.A. Huston, the designer of the stamp, softened the features somewhat, creating in the opinion of the author, the most mysteriously beautiful woman to have ever been portrayed on a U.S. stamp.

As with the one cent stamp, this stamp is exceptionally difficult to find well-centered. Although the five cent stamp was delivered to post offices on May 3, the earliest known use is May 9, 1907. Perhaps an earlier cover will show up someday.

330.jpg

What a dandy. Kind of reminds me of Chris Machuga. :insane:

Yes, my favorite color is blue, and if that were me on that stamp, I'd be saying, "Victor, you can kiss my "back side".

Chris

Hey, I think I saw that guy walking around the bourse at the FUN show...

or maybe J Cline just shaved his facial hair... :baiting: