• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I took a chance - I bought Three 1964 Kennedy Proof Halfs ... Update

11 posts in this topic

From a NEW Dealer on Ebay.

These coins if in fact ARE Accented hair ... no one would have found them

ONLY ME :)

He called his coins " HEAVY HAIR " ... pictures are terrible and really cannot tell if they are or not. 7 days return privilege so its worth it ...

$16 each combined shipping so 51 dollars for three :) .. We will see aye!

His pictures

2a6b_1.JPG

4d2c_1.JPG

4d2c_1.JPG

Looks like by the Links that he used the same picture for coin two and three

Hmm Thats a bad sign ...

laugh.gif

Good luck Mike. Kind of hard to tell with these pics. I'm glad you caught the duplicate pic there also cause I scrolled up and down them about 3 times and then scrolled all the way down where you caught it also. lol

I will be returning ALL three

Two were NOT accented Hair - ALL three were cleaned with substantial hairlines

:(

From a NEW Dealer on Ebay.

These coins if in fact ARE Accented hair ... no one would have found them

ONLY ME :)

He called his coins " HEAVY HAIR " ... pictures are terrible and really cannot tell if they are or not. 7 days return privilege so its worth it ...

$16 each combined shipping so 51 dollars for three :) ..

A personal suggestion for you JGRINZ, or anyone on the hunt for the 1964 Proof Kennedy...please feel free to take it or leave it. It's my personal method, and it remains to be seen if it works for me or not, I have a number of them at NGC right now actually, Proof and Mint State actually.

Here's what I did:

1. Went to eBay

2. Rather than buying raw 1964 Kennedy, bought 1964 PROOF SET (or 1964 Mint Set for that matter)

3. I've found that if you do some hunting, you can get the entire PROOF SET for less than the price you just described of $16. I've gotten them in the $6-$10 range, with shipping.

4. At least if it's in the OGP plyofilm, you know it's not cleaned or what-have-you.

5. Cut out the Kennedy in the plyofilm, and submit that to NGC for grading. IF you wish, you can send the set, I know some people are sending proof sets now, but if you just want the Kennedy, just take what you want. It's often worth more than the sum of its parts, especially if you get a good one, and then you don't have to pay to grade the others.

6. RE: Accented Hair. I never knew exactly what it entailed, but fortunately, NGC does NOT charge to review for this variety. However, as an FYI, someone recently posted a web site which has some great information about the "accented hair" Kennedy. Read (and see) more about it here: http://www.ipotad.com/pages/ah2.html

7. Remember, with the Proof or Mint Sets, for the lower price, you have MORE COINS and MORE SILVER, after you've taken what you want. For melt? For filling spots in your Registry Sets? For selling leftovers? For gifts with purchase? So many choices!

8. If you submit the coin to NGC, consider splurging the extra couple bucks and going for Modern Special instead of just plain Modern Tier, and have it slabbed with a "First Year of Issue" label. I haven't seen them yet, mine are still at NGC, but for the price difference to do this up front, it's kind of negligible, and I suspect that it MAY make them slightly more marketable if you ever want to sell them.

THE MATH: Modern Tier: $12.50 per coin, five coin minimum, discount if you submit online $1.25 per coin, so you pay $11.25 for a regular NGC label.

Modern Special Tier to get a "First Year of Issue" label on the 1964 Kennedy: $15 per coin, also a five coin minimum (but ANY modern special applies here), discount is $1.50 if you submit online, so $13.50 per coin for the "Special" label, a nominal difference of $2.25 per coin, which could be recovered (and then some) on re-sale if that was ever your plan, and if not, it still probably looks kinda cool, so at least worthy of consideration.

But the real point was that I've found it less expensive to buy the proof and mint sets than the raw coins, and just cut out what I want. Sometimes you get them in one or two purchases, sometimes you can get them in bulk lots -- all depends. Same if you're on the hunt for SBAs or Ikes.

For more about First Year of Issue coins, NGC has info on their web site here:

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/earlyrelease.asp#link4

And further, they have a complete list of coins that are eligible for the First Year of Issue labels, here:

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/firstyeardate.asp

I will be returning ALL three

Two were NOT accented Hair - ALL three were cleaned with substantial hairlines

:(

Ya win some, Ya lose some...

A lot of this is what I palnned to do also. I cleaned out a Safety Deposit Box a few months ago and found a Dansco album that I had forgotten about. It is Kennedys. It starts with 1964 and is only complete until the late 70s.

I think that that this is when I stopped so the chances are that none of them are cleaned etc. This is no big deal as I have all the Proof Sets in OGP from 1968 and the Mint sets from 1970 that are aslo in OGP.The ones in the Dansco Album look in great shape and we are only talking a few years that I dont have Kennedys in the Government sealed plastic etc.I am going to have duplicates from 1968 in Proof for several years and Mint for several years.

Buying the Proof Sets makes the most sense as jgrinz found out by getting the cleaned coins and also the Mint sets.Most of them aren't that much unless you are talking about something like the 1999 Silver Set.

I'm not that excited about the first year of issue Label as I don't plan to sell anything.The rest of what you say is true.

I will have to send it just the few from the Dansco as there are also a few duplicates but from 1968 on the Proofs and 1970 on the Mint I will be able to send in one form the Album and one from the OGP

I have no idea how they will grade as I haven't looked at them close in the Dansco.

I am interested regarding your success on the ones that are OGP.In my case I know that many have been locked away by my Father and the rest by me.