• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't usually do this but.....

42 posts in this topic

I know big pics...... :hi:

I bought a new camera last month and I have been quite impressed with the quality level of the images straight out of the box. It has a nice macro feature and while I am not great with adjusting white balances, it does have software included that seems to do a great job. Here's an image I took the other day of a nice Buffalo Nickel I own. The coin is a golden color in hand so I didn't do any adjusting with the software as it would make the coin look too light.

What are your thoughts considering the details captured, lighting etc? hm

coins032.jpg

coins033.jpg

800x600 and it will not stretch the page BUT ...

To coin a phrase from ATS - You get a YOU suck award! :)

Nice Picture Nice Coin ...

What is the camera I am starting to look for a new one ..

I've found that a 775 width image won't expand the thread on most monitors (depending on monitor resolution, browser, and monitor, obviously).

Nice pic - if you want my honest critiques, I'd say that your white balance and lighting could use a tad more work. Some of the detail is lost due to your lighting, I think - particularly the Indian's hair (which isn't really a high relief detail to begin with). Maybe a little more side lighting would help? Good job, overall, though.

Very nice pic there Shane. You haven't answered anyone's question as to what kind of camera??? hahaha

He already said what kind of camera it was... a NEW one! :doh:

Very nice pic there Shane. You haven't answered anyone's question as to what kind of camera??? hahaha

Ya so leaved me alone already lol

Actually it's a Cannon Power Shot SX100 IS 8 megapixels. I saw it an I liked it for the price...it was $299 at Sears but when I went in to purchase one they were sold out so they lady pointed me to the camera return bin and said that folks had brought a few cameras back during the holidays becuase they found better prices. I went to the bin and found the exact model I wanted, still in the packaging, just open box for $209....needless to say I grabbed it :banana:

Here are some shots of two of my Mogans....they also looks pretty good....and I did nothing as far as camera adjustments....just a tripod and my standard lighting with reveal bulbs.......this is a heck of a camera for the price if you ask me hm

coins002.jpg

coins003.jpg

coins010.jpg

coins013.jpg

With a little adjudting I am sure I could get the lighting and settings to produce even better images hm

Very nice pics, Shane. Very, very nice....Mike

p.s. your first photos of the buff are underexposed. That problem is fixed with the subsequent pics of the Morgans. That said, both suffer from a white balance problem (the Buff moreso, the Morgan less), which I suspect could be fixed with a custom white balance (or, less effectively, in post processing).

Alright Chad!!! lol

More nice pics there Shane. Canon's are very nice cameras!!! (thumbs u

Shane, That is much better, but you went too far. The first ones were too warm (yellow), the latest iteration are too cool (blue).

Looking at the slab (which looks like an NGC slab, which should show as just on the cool side of white) is how I make that assessment, by the way.

Respectfully submitted as MHO only...MIke

p.s. I would read your manual to see if your camera has a custom white balance. If it does, buy a grey card and learn to use this feature, as the results will be far superior to anything you can do by eye (and/or in post processing).

I adjusted the white balance so these images look better....maybe not perfect but hey......I am no piccasso lol

That's all right, Shane. Picasso couldn't use a camera either. Nice photos and nice cherrypick on the Canon.

Chris

p.s. I would read your manual to see if your camera has a custom white balance. If it does, buy a grey card and learn to use this feature, as the results will be far superior to anything you can do by eye (and/or in post processing).

I can't find the manual....at least the version in english doh!

but when I do...I will be looking up the WB setting.....thanks for the feedback everyone accept for Mike....he is so mean and I just can't live up to his expectations hm

lol lol lol

I have the same problem. NGC and especially the old PCI take on a blue look.

I'm using a grey card to do a custom white balance with the lights set as they will be for the image and still get the blue look.

It's something I'm doing but it has me. :)

but when I do...I will be looking up the WB setting.....thanks for the feedback everyone accept for Mike....he is so mean and I just can't live up to his expectations hm

lol lol lol

That's OK, nobody does -- including myself. ;)

lol lol lol

Shane, I'm using the Canon Powershot Pro. On the back of my camera, is a large, silver 4-way toggle button. The white balance adjustment (marked as WB) is at the 6 o'clock position. Does your camera have this?

Chris

This direct link should work:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0900009927/PSSX100IS_CUG_EN.pdf

It should even be in English. ;)

If that doesn't work, you can download the manual here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=225&modelid=15672#DownloadDetailAct You want this file: PSSX100IS_CUG_EN.pdf

Pay particular attention to the section starting on page 116 (p 118 of the PDF). It seems your camera will take a custom white balance -- which is great news and the solution to the problem. Read on....

Here's what I would recommend: Order a grey card from B&H or go to your local photo shop and buy one. Use this to set your white balance as per the above manual (placed exactly where you are going to take a photo of the coin at, and (obviously) using the same lights -- and don't forget to let them warm up) and viola, perfect white balance every time. It is just that simple.

Hope this helps...Mike