• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of only six graded by NGC

20 posts in this topic

Population for 1969-D Prooflike: 3 in MS66 and 3 in MS67

I wish the pics weren't so lousy - this coin looks so much better in hand - I don't know why it didn't make 67. It has far fewer marks than most (if not all) of the 67's I own. The stuff on the cheek & jaw is just bad imaging. Point & shoot camera and poor skills :(

000_0127.jpg

000_0129.jpg

Nice looking roosie. Is this your area? I have all the Proof sets from the Mint in OGP from 1968 and all the Mint Sets in OGP from 1970. Anyhting I should look for in the dimes?

Thanks

Nice looking roosie. Is this your area? I have all the Proof sets from the Mint in OGP from 1968 and all the Mint Sets in OGP from 1970. Anyhting I should look for in the dimes?

Thanks

I don't know that I would claim that it is my "area," since I am far from being an expert, but I am trying to learn all that I can about them.

The two books that I use for varieties (doubled dies, re-punched mint marks, etc.) are "The Authoratative Reference on Roosevelt Dimes" by Kevin Flynn, and, of course "The Cherrypicker's Guide"

For proofs, there were "no S" dimes minted in 1968, 70, 75, & 83.

For unc's, there is the 1982 "no P" - strong and weak strikes. 1946 and 1964 have two varieties due to obverse hub changes. (1964 affects proofs, as well.)

And if you are really lucky, you may find a 1964 clad or 1965 silver!

Fully struck Roosevelts - NGC's FT and PCGS's FB - are uncommon for some years / mintmarks. Whether or not they should command the high premiums that they sometimes do is a matter of some debate. Some collectors view the designations as a marketing gimmick, while others collect only fully struck coins.

I think PL coins are really cool. I want a Franklin PL, but they are crazy expensive (and rare).

A total of 4 for all years in the NGC census?!! :eek:

Yeah, Jason, I'd say that is very rare! Good luck finding one! ;)

Thanks for the Info. Some of these OGP covers are just envelopes that are falli.ng apart after 40 years I am thinking about removing the coins and sending in some for grading such as the Kennedys. As for the others I will either put them in Albums or if there are some more valuable coins possibly send them in also.

Hey, I DID buy that from you, didn't I ? Sorry, I didn't make the connection. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Maybe you can give an opinion as to why it didn't grade 67. (shrug)

Oh, and do you still have the 1968 ?

Hey, I DID buy that from you, didn't I ? Sorry, I didn't make the connection. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Maybe you can give an opinion as to why it didn't grade 67. (shrug)

Oh, and do you still have the 1968 ?

That coin has very smooth surfaces that are free from any real contact. It may just be the light toning that threw off the grade. It's much cleaner than the other 1969-D NGC MS66PL we sold this month, and the 1968-D NGC 66PL, for that matter.

The 1968-D is still available on our website under Dimes:

http://www.dmrarecoins.com/servlet/StoreFront

I think PL coins are really cool. I want a Franklin PL, but they are crazy expensive (and rare).

A total of 4 for all years in the NGC census?!! :eek:

Yeah, Jason, I'd say that is very rare! Good luck finding one! ;)

There is at least one NGC certified PL Franklin that does not appear on the census, a 1949-S NGC MS65FBL PL. I saw it for sale and inquired at NGC about why it isn't listed. All they said was that it is accounted for in the numbers, so I guess it is reflected in the 1949-S FBL pop numbers? I can't imagine why they didn't make a special slot for it!

1949-S and 1959 (P) are the only dates that have surfaces with true PL luster, though a few 1960s dates have highly ploished surfaces that are semi-reflective.