• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Sets and Non NGC & PCGS Coins

13 posts in this topic

Have a simple question.

I have Filled in the Complete Set Of NGC and PCGS coins to Date Complete 144 coin Early Comm Set.

But The Issue is the Non NGC & PCGS coins tat are in ANACS and ICG Holders from a Long Time ago .

Why have they Not Put in a Slot for these as well and then The Next Question Is the remaining Coins to Completely Fill In the entire set , Am I going to have to Cross them all Over to Either NGC or PCGS to Be able to Enter them. This a Fair amount and Would Be a tidy Sum to Just Submit these coins and Granted i do have a Few Labeled that They Me be a real good Coins for upgrades . So What Is The Best way to Get these Into the Registry and The least Expensive Way too.

Thank you ..Blaster

]Thank you,

This Is the Best and Most honest Response i Have Heard in some time and Yes you have It Dead on with Taylor Being Booted out and stating up his own Company Who Konows wht the Qualiity Control Will Ever be.

But With Every Single coin in the past Years When i have had to have them Either Crossed Over of Just Certified i have found that many of the ANACS coins have Gone up as Much as 2 Grades.

And even with the ICG Coins i have crossed over They too Have Either Come Back the same Or Gone up One grade at the Most ..

So It May just be woth sending in the remaining 27 Coins to Finish This set all In NGC Holders and Graded Properley.

And my Hat Is Still of to Mr. Sillman at NGC for the fantastic work he has Done on Some of the hardest Coins i have ever had to Get Graded Due to the Meteal Types they were made of and that was Just for the CWT Store Card's Collection i have of the Entire 145 Series of Copperstown, NY. And the Grades are In the MS-65 and non Below MS-63 Grade and some are Blazing Red and or the One of kind White one that the Other one is the German Silver coin that has the same Configuration That I Do Not have and Just Missed Picking it up, So He spent so Much time and Effort to Get It correct ..

My Hat Is off to NGC Grading Team for a Job Very Well done..

Blaster

I agree..and disagree...

I don't think ANACS and ICG should be included in the registry...first of all, they would have to have accessable data bases to verify the certification #'s...and the companies have been topsy-turvy at times making for some inconsistent grading.

My agree point--I have had about a 65% rate of my old ANACS slabs not only crossing, but upgrading..many of them 2 points ( but I usually will crackout first)...good luck with a tough decision..

I have gone the other way. Sent a 1878 Morgan 7 TF Reverse of 79 in a NGC Slab to ANACS because NGC only recognizes HOT 50 and Top100.

It came back slabbed with a VAM 222 but the same grade .

Maybe I should have ctacked it out but didn't want to take the chance of damaging it.

Who knows what would have happened if I had cracked it out?

I agree with the fact that comapnies have been topsy turvy at times etc and that there are no Valid up to date databases with ANACS and ICG.

The other problem which jackson64 mentions is that 65% not only crossed but went up 2 points.. If this was a 65% chance and even if you could put them in the NGC Registry then why not go for the chance at extra points instead of settling for 2 points less 65% of the time?

I agree

My agree point--I have had about a 65% rate of my old ANACS slabs not only crossing, but upgrading..many of them 2 points ( but I usually will crackout first)...good luck with a tough decision..

Curious:

Why do you crack the coins out of the ANACS cases before submitting them to NGC, rather than submitting them for Crossover service? (shrug)

I am not going to offer any hypothesis, because I don't want to influence your answer.

It's also a loaded question because I've been focused on submitting a lot of my raw coins, particularly silver, gold, and platinum that I came across since prices have been soaring.

However, the loaded part is that I have been waiting to do a BUNCH of crossover coins with my free coupon at the EarlyBird level because I have some "old gold" in ANACS holders (At least I think I can use the coupon for that), some old silver too (also in ANACS), and it would save me some money compared to the other coins I can do myself at the Modern Tier.

The main reason is actually simple--because crossover and regrade are 2 seperate services and you must pay for each.

Crossover--when they look at a coin and determine if it is worthy of the same grade in an NGC holder

Regrade--when they look at a coin and determine if it is undergraded and worthy of an upgrade

I made the mistake when I was new of sending in a half dozen PCGS coins for crossover and regrading..they all crossed over but none upgraded. I was new so I called NGC--that is when I was told that consideration for upgrade was a seperate submission....

Now I just crackout the coins that I am confident are undergraded and send them in for regular grading. Like I said, I'm about 65% on the upgrades...but I did get 1 bodybagged PCGS coin that cost me several hundred dollars since it wouldn't re-slab....so there is risk involved..

PS: crackouts and regular grading is only 1 submission/fee also...so it's cheaper...

There could be exceptions but I understand regarding the Crossover with NGC after reading the submission for it that the submitter needs to apy a fee based on the tier so if somebody is submitting a coin in the Economy class then they need to pay $16.00. I think there was a cross over fee but I can't remember for sure.

The part that bothered me was the part where NGC said that if it didn't cross over to the same or higher grade that the Slab would be returned and you would still pay the Charge.

Perhaps this is only in the case of specifying a minimum grade but I din't see that. Perhaps if the Submitter said there was no mininum grade then it would be crossed over.

I may be wrong--but I believe the policy is that they won't downgrade...so it either crosses over at the same grade or is sent back in its old holder (you still pay for their opinion though either way)..there is no need to put a minimum grade on a crossover cause they won't do it regardless...

That was my impression.So it would seem that if you wanted it in a NGC holder that you would crack it out so it wouldn't get sent back. I would rather pay the fee and have it downgraded after being cracked then pay the fee and have noting done in most cases.There is always the chance that it will grade the same or better anyway.

If I send a coin to ANACS for a Cross-over and put down that there is "no minimum grade" then they will cross it over anyway.

NGC's Crossover Policy:

Coins from other grading services are reviewed for NGC certification at the same grade. Coins will not be removed from their holders if thye cannot be graded at the same or higher NGC grade. The ONLY exception is if the customer indicates on the submission form that they are willing to accept any grade.

The price for Crossover is according to the tier selected, for example:

Crossover Earlybird - $30

Crossover Economy - $16 - 5 coin minimum etc.

The main reason is actually simple--because crossover and regrade are 2 seperate services and you must pay for each.

Crossover--when they look at a coin and determine if it is worthy of the same grade in an NGC holder

Regrade--when they look at a coin and determine if it is undergraded and worthy of an upgrade

I made the mistake when I was new of sending in a half dozen PCGS coins for crossover and regrading..they all crossed over but none upgraded. I was new so I called NGC--that is when I was told that consideration for upgrade was a seperate submission....

Now I just crackout the coins that I am confident are undergraded and send them in for regular grading. Like I said, I'm about 65% on the upgrades...but I did get 1 bodybagged PCGS coin that cost me several hundred dollars since it wouldn't re-slab....so there is risk involved..

PS: crackouts and regular grading is only 1 submission/fee also...so it's cheaper...

This part doesn't quite click with how I understand NGC's services, though I've not sent a lot of crossovers, and when I did, I specified that I wanted them to do it, no matter WHAT the grade.

The way I understand Crossover is similar to what you describe, in that you send coins from other TPGs to NGC to see if they "make the grade" so to speak at NGC. You can specify that NGC should only remove it from the holder if it makes the minimum grade (a specific grade, up to the grade on the holder. I didn't do this -- I did the opposite. I told NGC to do the Crossover, no matter the grade. It was only one submission/fee. If you look at their price chart for Crossover, it refers to "Tier Pricing" and that's what I remember paying too.

Perhaps that's why I am confused about the need to crack out the coins to save money, it seems that, as I understand it, it's just the Tier Cost (Modern, Economy, etc.)

Regrade, as I understand it, is specific to previously graded NGC coins. So, if you have an NGC coin that you want them to re-examine, that's what that service is for. I never used that service, so I can't really speak with any experience on this service level.