• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893-S Morgan. Looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but...

16 posts in this topic

Yes, it does appear to be authentic,but do you want $9 grand in a coin that will never grade except in a net grade or "third world" holder? I won't. I would rather have a clean VF. It would make me happier to look at it, and it's easier to sell.

As for the write-up with this coin, it's a pile of garbage. Mint State? :o The coin was not Mint State before someone cleaned the devil :devil: out of it, "Hate to sell because it's one of the few prizes of my collection?"

"Oh and by the way I have a bridge to Brooklyn that's been in my family for a long time too!"

I don't trust that seller. I think he recently had a counterfeit coin listed for sale, wouldn't remove the listing after being notified and that Ebay eventually took action.

Coins like these make me blue. So few survived. How sad it was abused. If only it had been left alone, or in the hands of an expert conservationist.

I'm with you, Bill. Give me a clean VF...and the money to own it.

Maybe I'm wrong but look at the super size pictures of the rim.The indents or what ever their called look cast to me their not square but rounded in many of the indents thats from casting. Anybody ever use one of those Fisch Detectors for fake coins say they work on gold and silver ?

how do you guys no what the reserve is? i lost a auction today because the reserve want met.

You normally don't know. But sometimes the seller states it in the auction text.

The coin is not Mint State. In at least one of the Pictures the Coin looks like it has been harshly cleaned. I have looked at this particular seller before and have passed on him for some reason.

I can't remember the exact reason. I have never had any dealings with him. Just didn't like the description/s etc.

It could be me and it could be some sort of illusion but staring at the coin there seems to be areas around the rim that don't appear to be uniform but that could be me.

...looks cleaned. Opinions on grade? I'm guessing EF-40. Seems to be authentic. 1893-S Morgan on ebay

showimage.aspx?gid=318868&ppid=1122ℑ=102839837&images=102839837,102839822,102839845,102839830&formats=0,0,0,0&format=0

I'm with the group on this one. I'm not generally an expert on cleaned coins, so that's not what sets off my "spider sense." Instead, the listing itself is where this one goes awry. Where the seller talks about how Third Party Grading services are just "subjective" when actually, they're not -- they must meet ANA standards to define the condition of a coin. There may be variations from one grader to another, and that is where SOME subjectivity comes into play, but it is, in its purest form, an objective process. It's why the graders (at the top grading companies anyway) can't know whose coins they are grading, so it doesn't influence the grade, and so forth.

Further, the token $9,000 reserve is such a HUGE red flag. I mean who sells coins that valuable raw? I've seen and heard of unscrupulous people cracking coins out of NCS (or other) holders that identified the flaw in the coin (Improperly cleaned, whizzed, etc.) so that they could then try to sell the coin for a higher price in a raw state, claiming ignorance of its problem nature. I mean, nowadays, if someone considers a coin to be a PRIZE of their collection, they get it graded -- ESPECIALLY if they want to sell it, and ESPECIALLY if it's a higher priced item because the reality is, high priced items in raw state are suspicious at best. Most know that higher value coins command huge premiums if they are graded, but this seller has already discounted that by saying that TPGs are just "subjective" anyway, so you can decide that for yourself. It's a sneaky approach.

Very good points, Bully, particularly with regard to why so potentially valuable a coin remains uncertified. I'll bet that at some point a certification was attempted and the coin was bb'd. That would also explain the seller's cavalier/resentful attitude toward TPG's.

look at the super sized picture #3 top right of picture rim has flow marks also bubble at 2oclock 2in IN. Picture number 1 4 o'clock rim looks melted the stars to the right of the date all look like poor copy castings

The ONLY hope for that coin now would to be pocket change for quite some time, then maybe get an EF grade or less.

Somebody whizzed the bejesus out of it.

MM :P