• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scored a Nice Early Commem

13 posts in this topic

I am not a collector of commemoratives. I am a collector of numismatics related to New York, my hometown, and the surrounding area... specifically Long Island (actually pronounced "Lon guy-land" lol ). One of the items I've wanted was a 1936 Long Island Tercentenary Commemorative Half Dollar. I also did not want to pay more than $100 for it, which meant a low MS coin. But that's ok for my taste, as long as it has an even tone and just looks good.

I scored it! Ok... I had to pay a little more than $100, but I think it was worth it. It was sold as an MS60 and I think it is right on the mark. On the scan below, the one mark on the hair is not a mark but the effect of a shadow. It really is a nice coin.

It's been a while since I found something that made me this happy, so I thought it was time for me to post a newp. Enjoy!

Scott :hi:

52058-1936-LI-Commem.jpg.9779a47ab26c76a7454d4f8bedd3bbfe.jpg

Please take this as constructive criticism.

I don’t care for this coin because it has been cleaned. For that reason I would pass.

As for the Long Island commemorative, I’ve sold many of them at the shows for around $100 in NGC or PCGS MS-63. For another $20 or so you can get a certified MS-64.

The old commemorative series is really slow right now, except for the “key” issues like the Hawaiian. There is no reason to pay strong money for these coins in the usual states of preservation right now.

Chris... the dealer I bought it from called it MS60. They tend to be very conservative. I showed it to a local dealer who suggested NGC or PCGS would grade it MS63.

Bill... I bought this from a very reputable dealer, someone whom I have been doing business with for some time. As opposed to a previous mistake that was made on a key date coin I own, I was directly involved with this purchase. Since the dealer is not local, I was given the opportunity to either get second/third opinions or send it to a grading service. Since it is for a special collection and the collection is in AirTites, I chose to show it to two dealers--one nationally known with an impeccable reputation. Both were satisfied that not only did I get a good deal if the seller graded it MS60, but that it was not clean, altered, or had any problems. The spots you see on the image are the result of dust on the lens (which would be clearer if you saw the pre-cropped image).

I am not a commem collector. This is the only one of the old commems I am buying because of the Long Island theme. The coin is now in an AirTite holder and has been placed with my New York coin, token, and medal collection--some of which I have posted here.

Scott :hi:

I know that pictures have their limitations, but compare the luster on this Long Island with the piece you have. This piece is an NGC MS-63. A coin like this sells for $100 or so.

LongIslandO.jpgLongIslandR.jpg

An absence of marks is only aspect of grading. Luster and original surfaces are even more important.

It looks pretty decent to me, but i'm kind of new to the commems. I still have trouble photographing coins to get the colors and luster to show correctly (and really telling anything form most online photos), but here is a 65 Long Island for comparison. I think if you bought yours for 60 money you did pretty well.

1936LongIslandMS65OBV.jpg

It looks pretty decent to me, but i'm kind of new to the commems. I still have trouble photographing coins to get the colors and luster to show correctly (and really telling anything form most online photos), but here is a 65 Long Island for comparison. I think if you bought yours for 60 money you did pretty well.

1936LongIslandMS65OBV.jpg

Nice typo on the PCGS label. :o