• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Spouse Coins going for BV

9 posts in this topic

WOW!

This is worse than I thought ... I did think that the early pieces for really interesting First Ladies, like Abigail Adams would sell for more than melt.

But then again melt value is up to speculative levels, and when that happens coin collectors often back off and don't pay a numismatic premium for coins that are not that rare. Many years ago common date circulated $20 gold pieces were selling for less than melt for a short while. The coin collectors knew better than the gold bugs did.

BV = Bullion Value?

Very nice!

I came CLOSE to getting one the other day myself, I wonder if YOU are the won who beat me in the auction either while I slept (I keep odd hours) or while I was out to eat, and only outbid my highest bid by a few dollars, hmmmm. hm

Like you thought, I was DARN CLOSE to getting it for Bullion Value -- it seems that the 69 grade coins aren't commanding a huge premium -- collectors seem to want the 70s, and they are selling higher, at least that's what I am seeing on the auctions I've looked at on eBay.

Meanwhile, a half ounce of NEAR PERFECT (69) pure .9999 gold is selling in the $470 range -- and it's already graded! I mean, how do you go wrong? I mean these First Spouse coins ARE limited editions after all, only 30,000 per issue, correct? Or is it 25,000? Whichever, the mintage limit is low.

Great trophy to the auction winner though, congrats! ^^

I mean these First Spouse coins ARE limited editions after all, only 30,000 per issue, correct? Or is it 25,000? Whichever, the mintage limit is low.

Pick just about any 19th century gold coin, and the surviving population will be 30,000 or less, often WAY less. There is nothing rare about this modern mint stuff.

The Franklin mint pulled the stuff back in the 1960s and '70s. The largest demand for their stuff was at the time they issued it. From then on it was all down hill. The U.S. mint's products are headed in the same direction. Don't be fooled. This stuff is not even scarce.

Meanwhile, a half ounce of NEAR PERFECT (69) pure .9999 gold is selling in the $470 range -- and it's already graded! I mean, how do you go wrong?l

You go wrong if gold drops back to 650 per ounce, thats how....

MM