• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scary N.C.G coin seller posing as N.G.C on eBay

23 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen this one? Or for that matter HEARD of N.C.G. "grading company" instead of our esteemed NGC?

I mean, as if so many other acronyms weren't similar enough, now there is one with the same letters, just two of them inverted?

That's not where it ends though, the seller in THIS auction goes on to say that:

"THIS COIN HAS BEEN GRADED, CERTIFIED AND ENCAPSULATED BY N.G.C. ONE OF THE LEADING AND HIGHLY RESPECTED GRADING SERVICES IN THE NATION. THE OFFICIAL GRADING SERVICE OF THE AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION"

For those who are curious to check it out, and the seller:

The item listing is eBay item number 220197732909.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220197732909&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D220197732909%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

I've reported the item myself, but in case it remains (eBay isn't famous for it's fast action from member reports), anyone else who wants to report it to eBay, feel free. I also reported it to NGC. I thought they might not appreciate it.

This seller has other "questionable" items that aren't on eBay's approved list of grading services, yet they are listed as "certified" items. Meanwhile, someone lists a coin as being in GSA packaging and the listing gets removed -- ACK!

A few other examples:

eBay item: 220197752012 - certified by NAC

eBay item: 220197788264 - certified by NGP

Perhaps not AS insidious as the NCG vs. NGC example, but still not in compliance with eBay's rules, which he seems to try to partially quote in the listings. Clearly, the seller knows but ignores the rules.

You should also forward to NGC as patent infringement -

"THIS COIN HAS BEEN GRADED, CERTIFIED AND ENCAPSULATED BY N.G.C. ONE OF THE LEADING AND HIGHLY RESPECTED GRADING SERVICES IN THE NATION. THE OFFICIAL GRADING SERVICE OF THE AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION"

Had to check and see that it was not a typo as I had purchased a NGC coin mis typed on the title of the auction. I picked this $500 coin for $200 dollars - Everyone just bypassed the coin not looking at the picture.

Highly Illegal

not sure if seller is a rip-off artist or just dyslexic. there's an NGP slab listed too. :)

See above quote in his description.

This is a new thing? I have mentioned it here several times.There are cases where Sellers use the Population of a coin by saying such things as only 500 in population etc. The only problem is that this is the NGC Population and the Coin is encapsulated by NAC etc.

I have mentioned several tiimes that a Program on CNBC featured an Expert in Risk Management Anaylsis that stated "EBAY is greatly lacking in many areas and Automation could use a lot of improvement"

A simple Computer program could alleviate this very thing and the ones you describe above etc. The problem is that this would cost money for the Equipment and the Programmers that initiateand monitor them.

Since EBAY is decreasing in Sales etc they do not want to spend this Money that would help in Monitoring the various Policies.

Therefore the only solution for them is to raise fees to both compensate for the Loss of Sales and to make it appear that they are doing something to make it a better place for everybody.

not sure if seller is a rip-off artist or just dyslexic. there's an NGP slab listed too. :)

See above quote in his description.

Clearly dyslexic.

I toyed with the dyslexic notion, but where I think he loses that benefit of the doubt is when he goes on to add that "NCG" is the Official Grading Service of the American Numismatic Association -- if he sees that on the NCG slab, he has more than dyslexia going on, it's more like dementia.

Reality, something was suspicious.

I notice that eBay didn't remove the auction listings, but they are EDITED. How nice for him. Meanwhile, a legitimate seller with an item such as a Morgan Dollar in a GSA Holder gets the auction REMOVED, no warning, no fuss, no muss. GSA, never claimed it was a grading service, just mentioned it was the original GSA holder. Facts? In my best Chris Matthews voice.... HA!

Has anyone seen this one? Or for that matter HEARD of N.C.G. "grading company" instead of our esteemed NGC?

I'm not sure if I've seen that one before but it doesn't look like any of the other three NCG services that I am familiar with. So if I haven't then it will be the fourth company with those initials.

You should also forward to NGC as patent infringement -

I actually reported it to NGC before I reported it to eBay myself. I didn't think they would appreciate that sort of misrepresentation.

Also, after the recent issue with counterfeit NGC slabs turning up, on eBay and elsewhere, I thought they probably had better contacts at eBay to get it dealt with than my simple report to eBay, since eBay is not known for it's quick response to member reports of violations.

Got there too late. The listing has been removed.I woould say that a great deal of these ads on E Bay are deliberate.

I saw one a few days ago where the heading was such and such a date with NGC and the grade. When you click on the auction adn go inside and look at the Picture you see that it is NAP or NEC or whatever. The only letter that is the same is the "N".

Only the picture shows that it is NAC or whatever. Then there is the year given etc and a certification number which is the certification number of NAP etc.

If you E Mail the Seller then sometimes they may not respond at all. Sometimes they will respond and say that they made a mistake in the heading and EBAY will not allow them to change it after the Auction has started.

I had one case before the Policy change started with the four TPGs where a Seller had say an NAP coin and he gave the NGC population of that year and date and then said " It trends x amoutn of dollars in this grade". I E Mailed the Seller and he claimed that he was following E Bay policy and his listing was Legal.

I then wrote and asked him where I could get a population report on this slabbing Company and he wrote me back and said " I don't have to give you anything.If you conatact me again I will report you to E Bay for harrassment and meanwhile I have blocked you from my auctions".

These Sellers are in many cases delibertate and I am always amazed on here when Members quote such examples and then in later forums I see other members defending the Sellers and saying that " EBay favors the Buyers more than the Sellers".

People have to look at the Headings then the Pictures and then read the Terms and descriptions etc.

I have seen NCG for years...I'm sure the initials were entirely derived for the purpose of getting people to bid on overgraded junk, maybe being in a hurry to snipe a good deal and not realizing they read it incorrectly and that it's not an NGC slab...........

Listing has been edited.

I'm THRILLED. I thought he was going to get away with just EDITING his listing, and that kinda ticked me off. I am glad it has been removed entirely.

:golfclap:

These Sellers are in many cases delibertate and I am always amazed on here when Members quote such examples and then in later forums I see other members defending the Sellers and saying that " EBay favors the Buyers more than the Sellers".

:signofftopic:

Ok, this is a bit off THIS topic, and has been discussed elsewhere, but in my stream of consciousness, sort of fits with the eBay favoring the buyers vs. sellers issue. It also relates to the new feedback policy where eBay's theory is that buyers are afraid to leave negative feedback because sellers can retaliate. Well, a seller retaliated against me today.

Here's my story (which I will probably publish later in he eBay ranting area if I can find it again), but it somehow just made sense here for the moment. Maybe they should favor buyers more than sellers, SOMETIMES (At least that is how I felt today after getting FOUR negative feedback ratings from one seller who really deserved the negative I gave him).

rantrant

First, here was a blog I read on eBay about the feedback changes, since it sort of hit home with me today: http://ebaychatter.com/

Then, here was the email I sent to the seller today AFTER I saw that he left me four negative feedback reviews for items I purchased NOVEMBER 21st, 2007! (this gives you an idea of how slow this seller is!).

"Dear [seller name deleted to protect the not so innocent]:

1. After experiencing an over two week delay with receiving no items;

2. After sending multiple inquiries by email and getting no reply;

3. After contacting eBay to get your phone number;

4. Only then did you finally communicate with me, weeks later, that apparently one or more of my items had been "backordered" and coincidentally, the day I raise the issue, they had "come into stock;"

5. You then quickly shipped my order, weeks late at this point, preparing it perhaps too quickly because two items were overlooked;

6. When I contact you about the missing items, you say they will be replaced - they are not.

7. It takes several more weeks of email, and written (paper) follow up to get replacements;

8. I communicated to you about my problem with one of the other items, and asked how to best process the return. You told me. I followed your instructions, even included the instructions, printed your email and included it with my return to avoid any confusion;

9. When you received the return, the respond I got was bizarre. I was told that I had, in fact, ordered the items. Of course I did, how else would I be returning them as previously communicated with your very company? Did you not read the enclosed documents, with the email from your own company, much less my instructions?

10. After some further back and forth expressing my frustration, I finally got someone else to handle the matter, and she processed the refund, and soon thereafter sent the replacement coins - so that I received them approximately SIX WEEKS after my original order.

11. NOW, after receiving the apology email below, on 02/02/2008, nearly one month later that, I receive FOUR negative feedback remarks, in ALL CAPS with EXCLAMATION POINTS because I had the nerve to be factual in my feedback about these negative experiences.

If the lengthy delay, lack of communication of the initial extensive order delay, poor communication when following up afterwards, poor processing of the refund, poor handling of the missing items, and poor communication in general, all resulting in a transaction taking approximately six weeks to complete, and only then with the help of 10-12 or more emails, paper mail (in the return package), and a request to eBay for your phone number before you acted does not warrant NEGATATIVE FEEDBACK, exactly what, in your opinion, does? This is not a rhetorical question. Do you believe that you provided me with exceptional service?

I did not even leave negative feedback on all of the items. I left it on the items in question. I even remarked "In fairness, nice coin." Were you, in turn, fair to me? I kept it factual.

After your APOLOGY email below, which seems to acknowledge that you were not living up to high standards, it appears to me that the feedback was nothing but retaliatory, much less untruthful, misleading, and I am shocked, and extremely disappointed to see it. It appears that this apology was simply a hollow statement, and might lead one to believe that the previous information I was given about out-of-stock items and other delays was hollow as well.

I am HOPING that this is another example of communication between your staff members being lacking, and that one hand did not know what the other was doing, and perhaps that after the service I received, one hand did not know that negative feedback left for me would be inappropriate, and that it could be addressed or rectified in some way.

I look forward to hearing from you."

OK whats your ebay handle so we can check the individual_without_enough_empathy out :)

Ok, I see that the message boards change words, because I was wondering what "SPOON" was. Now that I went to reply, it showed me what the original word was, before the :censored: version.

Anyway, on eBay I am known as: bully1ct

And don't get me started on the "me" page not working -- that's an issue I've been after eBay to fix for probably about two months now. Their tech support is ever so efficient.

My point is that it is not one sided in that EBay as a rule favors the Buyers over the Sellers. I have given the examples of where a Seller has either retaliated or threatened to retaliate.

I was a Manager in Retail for several years and I know that most people are reasonable but there are a small percentage that will try to rip you off and a small percentage that you just can't please.

In the cases where a Seller retaliated or threatened to retaliate they had 100% feedback and I don't think that I was the only one treated that way.

There is one Seller on EBAY who I have found very informative etc and told me that he has had at least one case where a Buyer purchased a coin from him and sent it to be graded and then tried to return an entirely different coin for a refund.

It happens on both sides. Ebay doesn't discriminate. They provide really poor service to both sides unless you are fortunate enough to have a problem free experience on both sides.

It happens on both sides. Ebay doesn't discriminate. They provide really poor service to both sides unless you are fortunate enough to have a problem free experience on both sides.

It amused me that you said this. When I was working in the president's office of a Fortune 100 company, gosh, over 12 years ago now, I remember getting a call from a customer, who had a serious complaint, and as we went back and forth on the issue, he finally concluded that we (the company) were "persecuting him because he was gay." Now, I had to politely point out to him that we have no idea, based merely on his Social Security Number, since that was how we tracked our policyholders at the time (yes, I worked for one of those evil insurance companies), that he was gay.

Further, I had to point out, that we screw up indiscriminantly, regardless of color, gender, religion, sexual orientation or otherwise.

Anyway, there was more to my encounter with that gentleman, but your words struck me funny, and reminded me of that customer, whose name and location I still remember, 12 years later!

That's my off-topic story-telling for the day, for light-hearted amusement in case anyone else gets a chuckle. Ok, I admit that am easily amused too.

:applause:

Isn't it amazing the excuses that people will use to claim discrimination and try to prove a point?

I have heard most of them.

That aside I was pulled aside by a Customer that wanted to ask me a question about a type of Cleaner.

The cleaner had "Residual reaction". The Woman asked me about it as she didn't want any "Residue" left on her Sofa etc.