• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever buy or sell coins on Amazon or uBid?

11 posts in this topic

I was only considering starting to sell on eBay, so I am VERY open to alternatives as well. Prior to this, it seemed like they were the ONLY game in town, but since I haven't started yet (only BOUGHT, but never sold), perhaps I can start clean and sell elsewhere from the get go.

Any success stories elsewhere?

I tried uBid a few times, but the selection was very limited and mostly inferior quality. There seemed to be much less bidding as a result, and I can only assume that was due to skepticism.

Admittedly, that was a couple of years ago, so maybe it has improved.

Chris

When eBay went to the full slab picture requirement along with all the other meaningless insert numbers, etc, I reduced my listing dramatically. Dollar wise, sales dropped at least 40%.

With the increase in commission for the <$25 portion of sales costing me $.88, I again will reduce my sales on eBay for lower cost items. For higher cost items, I will look at ways to decrease costs/increase profit. Unfortunately, that will likely be higher shipping costs, no PayPal on certain items, or perhaps discounts for people who pay by check.

With the change in feedback, if it becomes a problem, I will reduce my sales again, perhaps to zero.

It's unbelievable that I continue to get calls from my Power Seller rep asking me what can eBay do to help me increase sales. Next time he calls, I'm going to tell him that increased fees and much stricter requirements are the way to go. I think we need pictures of the four edges of the slabs as well as proof of purchase posted in the auctions. Fees should be at least 30%. :tonofbricks:

James,

I agree with you 100%! Ebay's management has been inundated with for years and has lost touch with reality. It would only take a small nudge and someone like Amazon would be able to take it away from them. As to Amazon's practices-their fees are pretty steep for selling books(I have sold many on Amazon). I can't imagine that coins would be much different. If enough people emailed whichever company they chose it might influence them to become more seller/buyer concerned. You have to have both.

I hope something changes as I have placed my last auction with Ebay and will be utilizing Teletrade until something better comes along. At least on Teletrade I can get my raw coins sent to PCGS/NGC for $9.00 and if rejected I still only pay $9.00(plus S/H). If I go direct I pay higher and full fees for rejects-plus a large time difference. These fees also come out of your sales so no upfront expenses. At 8% I figure this is no higher than Ebay's fees with no other benefits than to be screwed. Sorry for ranting on your RANT James.

Jim

I did not realize it was up and running but I received an email today from CoinZip announcing auction services for one year with no fees. The only fees after that will be a $3.99/month sellers fee. Will have to check it out more closely.

Rey

I looked over several other online auction sites yesterday. None of them had anything of interest to me. I'll check them from time to time in the future, but unfortunately at the moment eBay is still my only option. I'm not wedded to them though. If other sites start carrying the type of material I'm interested in, I'll go to them.