• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this 1875 S/S 20c

14 posts in this topic

As a type collector, I'd personally pass on this coin. I actually have a F15 ANACS that is only a $125 coin but I have no plans for an upgrade because it is a model example of an original, thick skinned piece. Just MHO.

51816-1875twentycentobv.jpg.eed2e5b79bda02254b96235a862f931d.jpg

51817-1875twentycentrev.jpg.a762d7a66b3ec21612e50ed0ca87f7d1.jpg

I just want to comment on the S/S part in your description. Are you aware by describing it a S/S you are in reality stating that it is one of the more common 1875-s's out there, if it weren't S/S it would be slightly more rare.

It's really tough to tell about the surfaces from these images. They look to me like the coin might be somewhat PL and that it might have been dipped and retoned, but take into consideration that these are truly WAGs based upon my interpretation of a single set of images.

As a type collector, I'd personally pass on this coin. I actually have a F15 ANACS that is only a $125 coin but I have no plans for an upgrade because it is a model example of an original, thick skinned piece. Just MHO.

There is an awefull lot of green on that coin, especially around the date. I'm suprised it didn't bag.

JJ

There is an awefull lot of green on that coin, especially around the date. I'm suprised it didn't bag.

JJ

Yep, I didn't notice that until I posted the pic. :blush: But you get the gest of what I was saying.

Thanks for the input everyone. I will watch it and may bid if the price does not get completely out of control. The pictures are tough to judge and on my monitor it looks to have a lot of green which may indicate PVC damage.

Thanks.

The heck with the green, what about the harsh cleaning it received. This is a terrible example of a common coin, one can get it in any grade at any time in a more accurately graded state. I collect these and this is not one I would want in my collection even if it was for free.

What is tipping you off to a harsh cleaning from those pictures? I figured it had a dip and has been retoned and stored in some flip that imparted PVC damage. I have minipulated the photos with regard to brightness and contrast and do not see hairlines.

When I think harsh cleaning, I think coins like the one below.

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

I was trying to influence you not to buy the 20c and wait for a better one. To my eyes the coin looks scratched, hairlined and worn down, and I am not even bringing up the pvc damage.