• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with grade on Jefferson....

4 posts in this topic

I was looking through some coins that I saved as a kid in the 1970's. I came across this nickel. I must admitt, I'm not very proficient with this series. I was hoping some of you Jefferson guys might offer a grade and step designation.

Thanks.

JJ

1942o.jpg

1942r.jpg

1942step.jpg

AU 63 is my grade (looks like some wear-induced luster disturbance). If that's not wear, and the luster is all there, it looks good enough to grade higher -- as high as 65.

I'm not an FS guy, so I'll leave that to those who are....Mike

I'm seeing some slight wear on the hair in Jefferson and also some on the top of the main beam of the triangular roof. As for the FS, it looks like some nics causing the 4th and 5th steps to merge, so no FS designation. I'm gonna have to go with AU55-58.

Without the benefit of the coin in-hand, it's a bit tough to say. I would say that the flatness in Jefferson's hair looks like a bit of common strike weakness, but the rest of the coin looks on-par with strike and nothing that overtly speaks of wear. The coin looks like an MS63-64 5FS piece to me.

Hoot