• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could this coin be saved ?

16 posts in this topic

Hi all ..

just wondering about this Draped bust 1803 cent and if it could be saved with conservation & also its possible value in this condition

e2b6_1.jpg

e27e_1.jpg

cheers dooly :devil:

I don't know if it could be "conserved" or not, but I like the coin, and would certainly buy it, if the price was right. Maybe a soak in oil, and an acetone rinse...

Yep it seems like there is a nice coin sitting under that muck ! i may give it a punt..

It would still look ok in my dansco

For that old of a piece of American History in that nice condition I would send it to NCS for conservation. Then it would stand out in your dansco. I believe that they could salvage the coin. JMO

Looks like that verdigris is eating up that coin .. it will be better but ...

Whatever is there has definitely eaten into the coin. I am afraid that if you remove it, you will be left with corroded pink spots.

For protection of the coin, I would have it conserved.

I see a beautiful coin under there Dooly. (thumbs u

Whats the deal with everyone having their avatars changed? rrantique, didn't you used to have an avatar with that looney tunes gunslinger?

Whats the deal with everyone having their avatars changed? rrantique, didn't you used to have an avatar with that looney tunes gunslinger?

shocked.gif By golly you are right Kevin. Thanks for noticing. I think it might be a weekly change out. :sorry:

shocked.gif By golly you are right Kevin. Thanks for noticing. I think it might be a weekly change out. :sorry:

Sorry for hijacking the thread! doh!

Thanks for calling me by my name, kevin. I'm tired of people calling me "stinky". I really don't like my forum name. :makepoint:

OK OK, this thread is getting to be... :signofftopic:

Sorry!

Dooly, that coin has some nice details. Did you find it with your metal detector?

I think it might be helped with a long oil soak and gentle removal of some of the crud and verdigris (rose thorn), but it will result in some pits showing in the coin. That corrosion has eaten into the surface of the metal. Personally I would not send it to NCS for conservation, you remember my comments on the last batch you sent in and posted. Most of them I thought came back looking stripped and worse than before.

Personally I think it is an attractive coin that needs just a little work to remove dirt and crud that may cause further damage in the future and to arrest anything that may be currently active. Then just proper storage to keep it from starting up again.