• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Remember NGC When....

14 posts in this topic

I remember NGC when thry first started in 1987. They were (I believe) based in N.J. and you had to go through a member dealer. And I remember that to be a member dealer at that time, your business had to have a net worth of @ $300,00.00. Anyone else have any memories of NGC and how it has changed over the years?

No real memories of any TPG that far back, as I have only been in the hobby, and taking it seriously (which means asking questions, reading up on a series I am into or am considering getting into), BUT, I LOVE those slabs that look like toilet seats....MCCS or something like that?

gmarguli......are you saying TT used to do have what the old ANACS 'slabs' were like? Did those TT flips have split grades also? Or is/was ANACS the only ones to use split grading? (I think the Canadian service, oh hell, CCCS or something like that, still does that)

I remember when NGC first opened their doors they refused to grade modern coins (post 1964).

Eventually they caved in but even then would not allow the coins to show up in their population reports for at least one year so they could not be falsly promoted as being 'low pop' and thus scarce or rare.

Times have changed.

I seem to recall that NGC coins traded at slightly higher prices due to their grading standards being considered the strictest of all of the TPG's.

I seem to recall that NGC coins traded at slightly higher prices due to their grading standards being considered the strictest of all of the TPG's.

It's switched back and forth over time.

It's switched back and forth over time.

Having recently gotten back into collecting after a 20 or so year absence, I wasn't aware of that, but I have been curious about it. Thanks for the info. That makes the fifth new thing that I've learned just today from reading these boards. :)

Maybe I'm too old, but I am amazed now by collectors who are too young to remember pre-certification days! There was a time when having ANA photo-certificates for your coins meant you were a serious collector (or dealer). Now, they are novelty items.

In 1988 I bought a pricey (for me) proof 65 coin in an NGC holder accompanied by a

photo of the coin in its previous proof 65 PCGS holder. Wonder if it would go back over

these days?

there wasn't an NGC.

I remember when the first black slabs began showing up at the coin shows and the dealers griping about how they had the labels on the wrong side and how the black inserts were ugly. (If I hadn't been so anti-slab I could have bought a bunch of those black slabs and I'd have made more selling the plastic today than I could have made on the coins. Of course if I had the black NGC would not be as rare as it is today and the value for the plastic wouldn't be there.)