• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I found....

21 posts in this topic

I found a 1959 D Quarter yesterday at work. I know that probably doesn't really excite a whole lot of people, but for me I was ecstatic! The first silver coin I held in my hand that I was actually aware of.

I was going through the rolls and found a 1976 and decided to pull that one for my father. When I reached into my pocket to find a replacement quarter I noticed that the one I was holding had no copper along the edge. I checked the date and I was blown away that I spent about an hour looking through the quarters and in my pocket the whole time was a silver quarter! I guess they must have given that to me in change at the grocery store earlier in the day.

I have yet to find any double dies. Then again I might have and just not known it. I've gone through about 500 rolls of change and nothing. I’d like to find one. Just one so I know that they’re out there.

Anyway I just wanted to share. Thanks!

nice find keith! it's nice to know that what you found is at the least worth 2.90 in melt! that's unusual in its self!

welcome to the boards too! :popcorn:

steve

I love finding stuff like that in pocket change. Of course it is much harder to find silver in change like it was when I was younger. But it is real cool!

You can read about my find here.

Scott :hi:

Of course it is much harder to find silver in change like it was when I was younger.

Scott :hi:

Gee, I thought when you were younger they were still striking Barber coinage. lol

Don't say it! When I was younger, they were still using waterwheels to drive the machinery.

Chris

Thank you.

I just wanted to make sure of something. Is it the 1999 P Quarter for the state of Pennsylvania that is rare? I thought I saw something on that posted before and I want to verify. I found 3 last night and I want to make sure that I'm collecting the right ones.

Thanks!,

Keith

Thank you.

I just wanted to make sure of something. Is it the 1999 P Quarter for the state of Pennsylvania that is rare? I thought I saw something on that posted before and I want to verify. I found 3 last night and I want to make sure that I'm collecting the right ones.

Thanks!,

Keith

349 million were minted. Not realy rare.

Last night while searching coins in the register I stumbled upon a 1937 Buffalo, and a 1938 Merc Dime. The Buffalo has the date plainly visible and the Merc is in pretty good condition as well. I know they're not worth a whole lot, but little by little I'm finding some interesting pieces.

A guy I work with has a 1883 No Cent 5 cent piece for sale for $10. It's not a AU, but really close. I don't know if this is a really good price or not. Beautiful coin though.

Thus far I've found 4 Roosevelt Silver dimes, 1 1959 Quarter, 1 Buffalo Nickel, 1 Merc Dime, and 15 different assorted bills that are star notes. I'm not exactly hitting the jackpot here, but still having fun with it!

Just thought I'd share

Sounds like you are having pretty good luck with your hunting, Keith! (thumbs u

As far as the value of the nickle, I am one of those "teach a man to fish" kind of guys, so rather than give you a value range, I'll tell you what I do: find out what it has sold for in the past. For slabbed coins, you can search auction sites like Teletrade , Heritage , or David Lawrence , and for raw coins, I search past auctions on ebay, or sometimes I check Numismedia . There are other good places to look as well, but I'm sure with a little searching, you'll be able to find them on your own. :)

When you get discouraged multiply your findings times 52 for the weeks in a year. Then multiply that times 20 or 30 depending on your age and realize that slowly but surely you are rivaling the Hunt Brothers. Keep searching the best is yet to come.

Thank you Just Bob and Rons,

I am looking everything up right now as I have the night off from both jobs. I just came across a 1979 P Susan B Anthony also. I have seen many different prices on ebay for this coin. Mine is not in superb condition, but it is nice. The only problems are that there are some small deposits of gunk (Sorry, for lack of a better word) around the eagles feathers.

I must say that this is great fun discovering what is out there! And now I've become aware of the mistakes that have been made minting several current coins!

Thanks,

Keith