• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 Columbian Exposition exonumia, etc.

26 posts in this topic

I was recently lucky enough to run across some of the original entrance tickets to the 1893 Columbian Exposition, for which we have the Isabella quarter and the Columbian half dollar. I found three of the tickets in a little hovel while on travel and a fourth here in town.

The first three are amazingly well preserved and printed on a special note paper that has interesting colors embedded in the paper. The engraving is much like that of a legal tender note and the outcome is that the tickets look much like fractional currency. The fourth ticket is for a specific day - Manhattan Day - and the ticket is not as fancy but nevertheless very attractive and interesting.

Attached is the first of the tickets, that of Chris Columbus. I will post the other tickets in subsequent posts. All of the notes appear a little more stark than they are in person. The paper naturally shows a bit of an off-white hue with more evidence (in person) of the background colored dots, etc.

If anyone has more of these, I'd love to see them. I believe there is one other fancy ticket. Is it of Queen Isabella? If anyone has a nice photo of their Isabella quarter or Columbian half, that'd be great to post as well. Any other exonumia fromthe exposition would be wonderful to share.

Thanks! Hoot

589a8b3f34cc2_281760-ColumbianExpo1893ticketCC.JPG.240f3f14e331a18afb126c6908ebe7e1.JPG

Sets of entrance tickets are available every so often on ebay, ranging from $200-$300 for a mint set with envelope. Individual tickets run about $3-$15 in nice condition. Very colorful printing, other tickets include children's day, closing day, opening day, etc. Some with Indian motif, other with president Lincoln. About 20 tickets in all.

TRUTH news.gif

Thanks truthteller! I asked a local dealer about the value and he said that he had sold some of the note-like tickets of similar condition on eBay for between $30 and $50. The Manhattan day garners less of a premium, usually in the $5 - $15 range. I think they are a cool set, right alongside the coins.

John - The Columbus is the best of the lot due to the overall state of preservation, centeredness, etc. The Washington is well preserved, but as you can see, off-centered. I like them all a fair bit and hope to gather more based on what truthteller spoke of.

Hoot

I have one for Chicago Day (which is cool since I am from Chicago) and that one has a picture of Fort Dearborn on the back. I will try to post pictures if I can find it.

I just recently saw a few of these on ebay and they were fetching so-so prices for excellent condition pieces. I think they're beautiful pieces. Does anyone know if the BEP made these? Looks like it to me. insane.gif

Dang, Hoot, they are cool! grin.gif

You made me look for my Progressive Party ticket that reminds me of those very much, however, I couldn't find the ticket! confused.gif I don't know where it is.

Here's my little contribution to the Columbian theme.

92COLUMBIANPCGS64R.jpg

Neat stuff, Hoot! Why did they use all the different motifs for the tickets?

I can only suppose, Charlie, that they lived by the tenet that variety is the spice of life!

Fantastic Isabella Andy! And Tom, I wish you'd return my half dollar to me - I miss it. wink.gif

Hope you find that Chicago day ticket Jeff! The more the merrier smile.gif.

Hoot

Well, I found the ticket, and the images appear below. Thy symbolism is interesting with the Phoenix on the front rising from the ashes, just like Chicago hosting this world's exposition just over 20 years after the Great Fire. Enjoy!

ticket1.jpg

ticket2.jpg

Hi Hoot

Not a So Called just something from the darkside.

The Columbian Expo. was really something.

A person could fill a book about it.

There were so many items for sell.

200310112277645299876826.jpg

a great threAD HOOT!! 893applaud-thumb.gifand even better exonumia!! cloud9.gif

fantastic tickets

i have never seen the lincoln or washington very cool cloud9.gif

for me the manhattan is the best as i am from ny state!

never seen that one

michael flowerred.gifjuggle.gifflowerred.gifjuggle.gifflowerred.gifjuggle.gifflowerred.gifjuggle.gifflowerred.gifjuggle.gifflowerred.gifjuggle.gifflowerred.gifjuggle.gifflowerred.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gif

Hoot, it's a nice coincidence that you actually started this thread exactly 110 years to the day since "Chicago Day."

Hoot, it's a nice coincidence that you actually started this thread exactly 110 years to the day since "Chicago Day."

blush.gif893whatthe.gifcool.gif (Pure luck!)

While searching eBay, I came across another of the "fractional currency-like" tickets. The picture is attached, albeit a bit fuzzy in the translation.

Hoot

589a8b3f411c0_283965-ColumbianExpoticketIndian.jpg.5c85ba20db71da69edf8b13c39ae26ea.jpg