• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think this is Post Mint Damage or Not?

14 posts in this topic

At first I thought this a rim gouge but then upon looking closer I'm leaning towards this was "as made". It just looks to clean, straight and deep to be post mint damage. Doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious.

What say you? Thanks in advance...

1853dollar002b.jpg

edit: here's the whole reverse

BQZBB-1853dollar002.jpg

Looks to be a struck through piece of metal or something that has broken free over the years.

It could be this or something that got caught in the die. (shrug)

As I said ATS, it is a rim burr error. During the upsetting process a sliver of metal got partially sheared off the edge of the planchet and folded over the planchet pointing in at an angle. During the strike it was impressed into the coin. Later it fell out. Have seen several like it over the years, sometimes with the sliver still attached.

Tom DeLorey

I was leaning toward calling it a strike through until I read Tom's explanation. The mint is still making these. Here's one I received in a proof set in 2003. You can see a gouge in the rim where metal was displaced and then the long burr was folded over and struck into the field of the coin. I suspect they aren't as common on proofs. ;)

51564-2003Srimburr.jpg.8020e9d1d0dc6cf989512f1fdada69ad.jpg

I was leaning toward calling it a strike through until I read Tom's explanation. The mint is still making these. Here's one I received in a proof set in 2003. You can see a gouge in the rim where metal was displaced and then the long burr was folded over and struck into the field of the coin. I suspect they aren't as common on proofs. ;)

Better not let errorist see that, he'll go crazy ;) I have one of these on a state quarter, I guess I didn't even think about that option. Very good, very good.

Better not let errorist see that, he'll go crazy ;) I have one of these on a state quarter, I guess I didn't even think about that option. Very good, very good.

Don't worry, he likes die cracks.

Chris

As I said ATS, it is a rim burr error. During the upsetting process a sliver of metal got partially sheared off the edge of the planchet and folded over the planchet pointing in at an angle. During the strike it was impressed into the coin. Later it fell out. Have seen several like it over the years, sometimes with the sliver still attached.

Tom DeLorey

I think TD has scored a TD! It appears that the tips of two of the denticles were pushed slightly inward toward the field as the piece of metal was impressed into the rim.

Chris