• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't beleive the Mint Site, CHECK YOUR BANK! (Bald eagles)

8 posts in this topic

The Mint site shows these are schjeduled to be shipped 03/01, but mine was shipped today. Funds taken out of the bank. I think the Mint site may still have a little tweaking to do.

The mint usually some coins already made when they make an offer of a new issue. They give out long term future dates to cover their butt.

It's better to send out the coins earlier than promised than later than promised. You guys are happy because you are getting your coins before you expected them to arrive. If the opposite were true, you would be unhappy and probably writing about your disappointment here.

Thank goodness the mint has learned its lesson about processing orders. Back in 1984 they “lost” my order for a Los Angeles Olympic set. It took me the better part of the year to get it straightened out after I had paid. Thank goodness for canceled checks. Otherwise I would have paid my money and gotten nothing.

It's better to send out the coins earlier than promised than later than promised. You guys are happy because you are getting your coins before you expected them to arrive. If the opposite were true, you would be unhappy and probably writing about your disappointment here.

Actually Bill, every Comm I have ordered in the past has taken at least 2 months for the item has ever shipped. I was hoping this would be the case with these. I was more shocked that these were being shipped so fast.

I vote for just plain ACCURACY. The Mint doesn't seem to know WHAT it is doing. Aside from the their recent web site fiasco, for YEARS now they send emails telling you they have shipped a coin the day AFTER it arrives. How efficient is that? At that point, why bother exactly?

It seems they should know when they are going to ship coins, I mean it's basic inventory control.

If they plan to exceed expectations, how about being a little less specific, and say "We will begin shipping THE WEEK OF...." Rather than saying the item is backordered until XX date.

This created a serious problem recently for me (and others) related to the 10th Anniversary Platinum Eagles coins. The Mint said, and maintained on their web site, that they were NOT shipping coins until 12/31/2007. Magically, the coins arrived on 12/24/2007. To get both coins certified by NGC as a 10th Anniversary set, you cannot OPEN the outer box from the Mint. However, not thinking about it since I was expecting OTHER coins sooner, and the Mint SAID they weren't shipping for another WEEK, I innocently opened the package. I wasn't the only one who did this. Bammo, only one of two coins is eligible for a 10th Anniversary Designation from NGC because they cannot verify with certainty that the other came from this LIMITED EDITION (and VERY COSTLY set).

Of course, when did the Mint send an email telling me that they had shipped this coin? Not even the day after -- they sent it TWO days later. How gracious and timely.

Accuracy matters for lots of reasons. Early, late, it's just plain service -- about which the Mint could learn a lot.

As for 1984 and your Olympic order, with all due respect, after nearly 25 yeras we live in a new era. We weren't talking online orders, order confirmation numbers, credit cards, credit card chargebacks if you didn't get your item, tracking numbers with FedEx, email, Delivery Confirmation even with the Postal Service. Even items that DO occasionally get lost by the delivery services can be replaced. The Mint has a CNR (Certificate of Non-Receipt) which I had to complete in December for a $7.95 item -- from the time I received the form to the time I had a replacement? Literally 4 weeks, tops. Not an unreasonably turnaround time, and it would have been faster had they not sent the replacement via Registered Mail, presumably to ensure that it COULDN'T get lost again, though for a $7.95 item, it was financially silly, but that's the Mint again - ever so efficient and cost-effective.

After you have been around for awhile you learn that you can't trust anything the mint says. From time to time they will be accurate, but it doesn't happen real often. Take anything they say with a large grain of salt.

They were "at their best" when Deihl was Mint Director. In some cases on the mint and proof sets, I was getting them the week after I submitted the order. They've definitely gone downhill since then, though they are offering a lot more products now than they were then (pre-state quarters). :)