• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stinky, this is for you: My very first contemporary gold coin

15 posts in this topic

Very nice !

Why do you call it contemporary?

Do you mean contemporary counterfeit?

(thumbs u

No I meant contemporary in the sense that is was old, used, and pretty. :) Probably not the right word, though. :whistle:

Thanks for the post referring to me about that indian head. I happen to have one too, an AU58 PCGS .Same denomination as yours too.

You have a nice coin there, and I'm glad you probably won't worry about it near as much as I worry about buying raw gold.

You should try and maybe get it certified, its a lower grade but indian heads were one of the most heavily counterfeited gold pieces I believe, because of their high collectors value.

Where did you buy it? Sounds like a reputable place.

Is this your first gold coin? Good buy! Also a note on the other coins. They seem to have great eye appeal, nice crusty old coins.

Always nice. (thumbs u

Thanks for the post referring to me about that indian head. I happen to have one too, an AU58 PCGS .Same denomination as yours too.

You have a nice coin there, and I'm glad you probably won't worry about it near as much as I worry about buying raw gold.

You should try and maybe get it certified, its a lower grade but indian heads were one of the most heavily counterfeited gold pieces I believe, because of their high collectors value.

Where did you buy it? Sounds like a reputable place.

Is this your first gold coin? Good buy! Also a note on the other coins. They seem to have great eye appeal, nice crusty old coins.

Always nice. (thumbs u

Here is the contents of the PM I sent back to you:

"Hi Kevin,

I have seen your AU one, it is a splendid coin!

Mine is VF, and I am going to leave it raw. I like my coins raw. :)

I have no worries of this one being counterfeit, as I bought it from a reputable dealer. They can be found here: http://www.harlanjberk.com/unitedstatesco/cnus.asp

Good luck!

Zach"

This is a great little coin; what surprised me most is its high density. I knew that gold has a higher molar mass than silver, but I had not anticipated such a noticeable difference. I am used to handling silver quarters, but this coin is much heavier, even though it is smaller, volume wise.

Neat. Thanks for sharing.

Still, I would be a little concerned about the toning pattern on the trime. There appears to be a light stripe running horizontally on the reverse. Do you think that could be an indication of an old bend? One often sees trimes that are slightly bent.