• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why no NGC Low Ball?

21 posts in this topic

I kind of PO'd a lot of people across the street, by suggesting that one could "make" a low grade coin, out of a MS coin, in a matter of weeks. It truly is my humble opinion that some of the Low Ball coins were indeed worn down in a manner inconsistant with circulation wear. Just my opinion, and I never meant to agrivate people over it.

Anyway, why doesn't NGC have a "Low Ball" Registry? Seems a number of people really enjoy it.

I kind of PO'd a lot of people across the street, by suggesting that one could "make" a low grade coin, out of a MS coin, in a matter of weeks. It truly is my humble opinion that some of the Low Ball coins were indeed worn down in a manner inconsistant with circulation wear. Just my opinion, and I never meant to agrivate people over it.

Anyway, why doesn't NGC have a "Low Ball" Registry? Seems a number of people really enjoy it.

There is a different mind set over here where the registry is concerned.

A T S is like this duel.gif

Over here it's more like grouphug.gif

That was the later go round.. The one I started was simply asking about the allure of Low Ball sets. Not sure how to link on here, but here's the address

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=629407&highlight_key=y&keyword1=low%20ball

Anyway, why no Low Ball Registry on NGC?

I didn't really see too much violence in that thread, to be honest with you, though you might have offended a couple of folks.

I agree that it is possible, and not that difficult, to wear a coin down to PO-1. I've certainly seen enough heavily worn pocket pieces to know this for a fact.

Quick funny story: years ago, when this "pop-bot" (population bottom) craze got started, I saw a PCI holder (when they were still legit) with a nearly slick SBA dollar in it. It was graded "PO-1". The hilarious thing is that it was a red holder with a disclaimer of "artificial wear" lol !

So, the idea is certainly nothing new, and apparently, PCI felt they had the ability to discern "artificial wear" from the real deal.

How would you do that.You would have to duplicate every set in the various Registrys and then assign negative points in many cases as there would be a lot of people tied for first place because they all had zero value.

It also goes against the grain of most people. The coins would have to be encapsulated by NGC/PCGS to enter te Registry.Who is going to Spend $16.00 per coin in say the Economy class to encapsulate a coin worth less than a dollar in many cases. I doubt if this idea would be widespread enough to attract more than a few people in all sets

I once thought about sticking an old dollar in a sock and leaving it in the dryer for a month or two to see what would happen. Maybe one day I'll get around to it.

On the other hand, I think that a lot of what makes a circulated coin look 'authentic' is the great deal of human handling, with the resultant deposition of skin oils on the coin. Maybe if one was trying the dryer trick, one would need to pull out the coin periodically and rub on the coin to add a little skin oil.

pendragon.....doing those things to wear a coin down to a lower grade quickly, well, isnt that like artificial toning? Hurrying up a process to attain a look, or grade that is desired is artificial. BUT, ATS, artificial toning is a BAD BAD thing...but there are those that use pocket pieces and when they think its reached the grade they want, they send it in. Man, if it comes back anything better than P01, they crack it, pocket it again, and try again. Its hypocrytical that artificial toning is bad, but artificial wear is not. I personally think worn coins, the story it could tell, is very cool, but what story can a pocket piece tell? I TOTALLY agree with your idea of 'authentic'....yet jingling in pocket change for a year or two, the authenticism is gone, kaput....no story to tell....

THOUGH, some of the prices these PO and FR grades are getting are nuts...

As we speak about it, look at the link...worried if something will keep it from going from FR to PO....shouldnt we really be worried about a coin going from a 64 to a 65? And if it comes back only FR, guess what, in the pocket for awhile till it gets to a PO. Doesnt going after the worst example go against all rules of collecting? (though, it would make the key's and semi keys' more affordable, but still...a PO1 to ME is a hole filler...yeah, there is that list of coins I could only afford in PO1, but other than that, why take a $30 coin in MS63 and knock 62 grades off it and STILL pay the same fee that someone is hoping to get a 65, though I DO guess it would be easier to be able to get the grade you want...cant do that with an upgrade, but a downgrade...). I wish someone could explain it to me why its so desirable to have the Best of the Worst. It DOES make for a great conversation/debate/argument though.

Wont go PO? What am I gonna do?

Edited to add: Though, I guess 'collect what makes you happy', and if it makes 'em happy, more power to them.

Artificial wear might be harder to effectively achieve than some might think. One thing that every poster so far has overlooked is the danger of a coin being (bodybag) damaged on its way from the mint to PO-1. If the coin has a serious rim-ding or "staple" (of course it's not from a real staple) scratch, it's disqualified. I would guess that "sweated" coins would be too shiney to qualify. Of course, the date and mint mark would have to remain identifiable on most issues in order for the coins to be identifiable, and that might pose a problem for some types. And the pocket piece might be much more likely to be a PO-1 than an intentionally distressed coin.

Besides, PO-1 coins are type set pieces. Nobody is collecting date-mintmark sets in PO-1. I wonder how many 2006-08 Jefferson nickels are slabbed as PO-1.

You still have to get it slabbed to enter it into a Registry. It has to be slabbed by NGC or PCGS to enter in a Registry.If it has been damaged , cleaned, or artificially made poorer it will not be slabbed by either.

Even then how many people would pay $12.00 to $16.00 to slab a coin that is worth a few dollars? Not only that but NGC would have to duplicate eve Registry because if they didn't somebody could come up and say "How come there is no Registry for my "type" of poor Coins".

I was just curious why NGC doesn't do it. PCGS does it, and a lot of people seem to enjoy it. I certainly have no interest in this type of collection, but it seems a lot of other people do.

Nobody is collecting date-mintmark sets in PO-1.

Oh yes they are! I personally know at least a couple such collectors.

I agree with James here, but I've only seen a couple thru these doors.

NGC will slab any coin for you as long as it is Geniuine and not cleaned or damaged etc. If somebody wants to spend $12.00 or more to slab a coin worth a few dollars then they will do it.

The original post referred to a Registry in these coins. The demand would not be there for a Registry because of the reasons mentioned.