• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with identifying coins and value.

11 posts in this topic

A friend stopped by with some coins he has. He wants to sell them and figured since I enjoy coins he would have me take a look at them. Although I love my coins and can point some minor things out, I need the wisdom of the board. I have pictures of 3 coins at the moment. More will follow after I look through these coins more.

OK first picture is of 2 coins he seems to think are very valuable, I dont see why but thats where you guys come in. They are wrapped in Littleton cellaphane. He seems to think that the number in the upper left hand corner is the estimated value. Im not sure what the number represents. Any information regarding these 2 coins would be greatly appreciated and also all the information on the cellaphane and value if any?

LittletonE.jpg

Ok next coin I like. He has several Morgans and this one looks like its from Carson City. If you could help me with grade and value I would greatly appreciate it.

1883CCReverse.jpg

1883CCObverse.jpg

More coins on the way. Thanks in advance for any information.

Upper coins are type 2 Bicentennial Eisenhower dollars. The 1403.60 ARE ( I LOOKED) Littleton stock numbers with grade ( .60 ). March 2008 COIN PRICES magazine says $5 in MS63.

Lower coin does look like an 1883 CC Morgan dollar. One of 1,204,000 minted in .900 silver.

Actual Silver weight is 0.7734 oz.

I'm not a Morgan collector so I won't venture a guess about grade but the same March 2008 COIN PRICES

says VG8 = $92, F12 = $100, VF20 = $110, EV40 = $130, AU50 = $155.

Thanks alot. Now I understand the littleton wrappers. He has several coins in these wrappers and all the numbers where confusing me. lol Unfortunately It looks to me that all the coins he has in these wrappers are worth very little. So why would anyone bother to have these coins wrapped to begin with? Examples of some of his wrapped coins are : 2 x 1928-D Lincoln Cent both in Good condition, 1937 Buffalo Nickel T2 ( not sure what the T2 is all about, any info) in Fine condition,1943-P Wartime nickel in good condition. I dont get it, the wrappers kept making me think I was missing something important.

Anyone care to take a shot at the grade of the Morgan Dollar, I want to put the coin in a flip and label it. Man its hard to tell someone that think they got something that they really dont. Atleast the Morgan is CC, all the rest of the Morgans he brung me look to be $20-$25 coins.

Littleton starts and sells to new collectors on approval

they sell at 2-3 times market for most things

the cellophane wrapping is how they do inventory and shipping

the Bicentennial dollars would be difficult to sell for over $1.20 to a dealer

maybe you could sell it to someone that had no clue at a swap meet for $3

why would they (Littleton) do it? to make millions

the CC dollar is worth $100 anyway

looks VF/XF area but I am concerned about the glossy luster

if it has been polished or lacquered, the value drops

Another suggestion about the Morgan:

It may be a candidate for conservation services from NCS (a sister company of NGC), where they can professionally "conserve" the coin (not to be confused to just cleaning it, though it sounds like that's what they do, think of it more as historical preservation).

If interested, check them out for more details and samples of their work (before and after photos) at www.ncscoin.com

After they take a crack at the coin, they can have NGC grade it for you.

IF the coin is previously cleaned, in a bad way, making it a no-grade coin to NGC, and undesirable to many collectors, NCS can encapsulate it with a "Details" grade such as "AU - Details" rather than a numerical grade, with the slab noting the problem of the coin (such as "Improperly cleaned"

I would not recommend the NCS/NGC option. With postage and shipping it would wind up costing you $40 to $50, and after it was done you would still have a coin that is only worth around $100. Possibly less if the cleaning goes badly

There is no upside in sending that coin to NCS. It's a circulated comon date CC dollar. As such it has a $100 floor under it with ceiling that not much above that.

You can buy a MS-63 example of this coin for $200.