• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Successful snipe... thoughts on this Large Cent...

19 posts in this topic

Color looks a bit too even to be original (not good or bad, but it is what it is), and I'd be worried about old corrosion on the reverse not showing. Additionally, I'd be concerned about a possible rim ding at 9 o'clock on the obverse. However, provided all these were taken into account in your bid/price, it does look to be an attractive coin with lots of details left, and I see nothing wrong with it...Mike

Thanks Mike... I saw the reverse patches in the devices but this ebay seller is normally pretty good about describing corrosion... I was thinking dirt. The thing that worries me is the way he describes color. I avoided some of the "light-brown" pieces that looked like they had orange undertones... the few ticks on the obverse seemed OK for the grade and this one seemed a bit better than most 1841's I've been looking at. I'll be able to see if it's been recolored when I get the piece in hand. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not...Leo

The coin came today and I was able to get better [ie: more accurate] images. The piece is much darker than the sellers photos indicated and Mike was spot on about the reverse corrosion patches and the rim hit at 9 o'clock. I'm not sure what to do here... send the coin back... or... keep it and be taught a $65 dollar lesson.. as always, thoughts, comments, and random babbles welcome.

1841obv2.jpg

1841rev1.jpg

I guess that would depend entirely up to you. I'm not sure of value for these but I would probably consider myself stuck with it, put it in a jar of olive oil for a few months and see what she looks like.

For $65 not worth sending back. BTW: I have a coin that had similar gunk and corrosion and most if not all came off with an olive oil bath. Would have posted pics, but was not expecting anything and did not take a before...Keep it and put it in olive oil for a while!

I disagree with everyone else's advice. If you do not like the coin then send it back even though it is but a $65 coin. You should train yourself not to settle with your collection and to instantly send back what does not live up to your expectations. However, you could gain knowledge about early copper buy giving the coin an olive oil bath and learn the conservation side of things.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone... this seller has a 30 day return policy so I have the coin packaged up and ready to go off tomorrow. I suppose I should use delivery confirmation as well.

Anyway, I've kept less than acceptable pieces [as learning icons] in the past and now that I look back on it I believe I was foolish to do so. Perhaps I've just "learned" not to take it any longer...Leo