• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exceptionally rare American coin found in Britain

6 posts in this topic

HERE' YOU GO COINESS

thumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif

Exceptionally rare American coin found in Britain

Wednesday, October 8, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(10-08) 18:12 PDT LONDON (AP) --

A 351-year-old coin, one of the first ever minted in colonial America, has been found in Britain, an auction house said Wednesday.

The rare New England silver sixpence turned up when relatives of a deceased British man were rummaging through his belongings. They sent it to an expert for identification.

"It just came through the post in an unregistered envelope but when I opened it I recognized the sixpence straight away and my heart leapt. It is exceedingly rare and a very exciting find," said Rick Coleman, the senior valuer at Bonhams auctioneers.

He said that the silver coin is about the size of a penny with "NE" for New England stamped on one side and "VI" on the other. It is one of only nine New England silver sixpences known to exist, all minted in Boston in 1652.

"It is very hot stuff," said Robert W. Hoge, curator of American coins and currency at the American Numismatic Society in New York.

"This is the first coin to be struck in what is now the U.S., and the first coin to be struck in a British colony.

Bonhams expects their sixpence to sell for around $33,200 to $41,500.

Thanks for the post. smile.gif With the absolute rarity and historical weight that that coin has, you would think it might be sold for more than their estimate.

So, who'd rather have this or the 1963 cent in PF70RD that many who've seen it have said that it's a POS?!?

(This isn't a knock on moderns, but on registry fever and those who bought the slab!)

EVP

So, who'd rather have this or the 1963 cent in PF70RD that many who've seen it have said that it's a POS?!?

(This isn't a knock on moderns, but on registry fever and those who bought the slab!)

I'd rather have the 1963 1¢ in PCGS PR70DCAM. With that coin I would get my name in a Collectors Club newsletter and have pimp daddy Hall tell the world that my set is the finest in the world. With this coin all I get is a great coin.