• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint’s online catalog continues to be out of service

16 posts in this topic

Anyone care to address the issue of the US mint's website being down now for a week? I have read what they are saying about it, but am not buying it!

What's to buy? (shrug)

" However, due to an unanticipated transition in online ordering operations, the United States Mint made the decision to suspend access to the Web site when we determined we could not ensure uninterrupted service or the reliability of the ordering system until the new provider was given appropriate time to assume and test operations."

You change stuff, test it and if all goes well you open it up to the public. If it doesn't go well you fix it or back it out. No big deal. In the mean time the phone lines are open for ordering.

OR , they could really be minting Ameros. ;)

Does anyone have any idea of when they plan to start shipping the Bald eagle coins? I know that in the past, even though the order date was one date, the ship date usually took a couple months. I have the mint already verifying funds on my bank account. When I called Cust.Serv at the mint, they couldn't tell me anything except order is in process. It's a shame the most important part of the Mint's website is unaccessible!!! :pullhair:

It may be up but it's not updated. Several items say they are not available for purchase until Jan. 17. I believe that was last week and you still can't place the order Jan 23.

Does anyone have any idea of when they plan to start shipping the Bald eagle coins? I know that in the past, even though the order date was one date, the ship date usually took a couple months. I have the mint already verifying funds on my bank account. When I called Cust.Serv at the mint, they couldn't tell me anything except order is in process. It's a shame the most important part of the Mint's website is unaccessible!!! :pullhair:

When I ordered the three piece set, they told me four to six weeks.

The site does say that PARTS of it are up and running, they are carefully precise about that.

However, there is BIG NEWS on that front:

1. The ORDER HISTORY feature is available. Why is that critical?

2. I have 3 boxes that I've been afraid to open. The one that came today, I checked against recent orders? It is my REPLACEMENT 2007 10th Anniversary Platinum Eagle Set!

For those who may not have read my tale of woe, I was a victim of what was probably the Mint's ATTEMPT at good customer service for "Christmas." Despite the fact that they had said that the 10th Anniversary Sets weren't going to be SHIPPED until 01/31/2007, I had a knock on my door from FedEx on Christmas Eve. Knowing I had other orders expected from the Mint, I thought nothing of it, and innocently opened it. Much to my chagrin, it was the 10th Anniversary Platinum Set, which, of course once it was opened, I could NOT submit to NGC for certification as a 10th Anniversary Set (at least not BOTH coins). Sort of kills the value there.

Therefore, I promptly returned it to the mint for a new one, which arrived today. I had two other boxes from the mint which I haven't been able to open, for fear that they may have been the set, but now I was able to check those too.

One of them was my Dolley Madison First Lady PROOF -- arriving approximately TWO MONTHS after the uncirculated version of the same coin. They're really right on the ball, aren't they?

That said, I was also able to place an order:

I saw that Silver is up today to nearly $16.50 an ounce

Gold is up already today by $13.80 to nearly $920.00 an ounce

Platinum is up $82.50 today to nearly $1,690 an ounce!

So, while most of the 2007 Gold Eagles (except for the 1/10th ounce coins) are sold out on the Mint's web site, the following WERE still on sale:

2007-W Silver UNCIRCULATED Eagles -- $21.95 -- that's just a little more than $5 over MELT value.

2007 PROOF Platinum Eagle, ONE OUNCE COIN, $1,740.95 -- that's less than FIFTY DOLLARS OVER MELT!

FIRE SALE at USMINT.GOV!

they actualy gave you new ones? wow. seems to me the label shouldnt get any more than coin is "actualy worth" anyway. but im glad they gave you new 1s. wouldnt it have been easier to just call the mint b4 opening? rather than open then send back to get a new 1. couldnt they have told you what was shipped? maybe compair numbers?

they actualy gave you new ones? wow. seems to me the label shouldnt get any more than coin is "actualy worth" anyway. but im glad they gave you new 1s. wouldnt it have been easier to just call the mint b4 opening? rather than open then send back to get a new 1. couldnt they have told you what was shipped? maybe compair numbers?

To be clear, the problem was that I didn't STOP before opening the first package that arrived on December 24th. You must keep in mind that the 10th Anniversary Platinum Eagles, According to the email from the Mint, from the Mint's Order Status Page and so forth, ALL SAID that these coins would not even SHIP until December 31st.

Therefore, when a box arrived from the Mint Fulfillment Center on 12/24 (a week before the other ones I am not supposed to open are even DUE TO SHIP, I thought NOTHING of opening it. After all, I get packages from the Mint all the time. They still owe me PLENTY of coins, among them the First Lady Proof Dolley Madison, and countless others. Why would I call? What exactly should have made me hesitate? That the mint was TRYING to be more efficient? And maybe get sets delivered in time for Christmas? That's a stunner that I could not possibly have anticipated. I haven't finished my mind-reading course just yet.

Then of course there's the matter of them not sending an email saying they SHIPPED the coin until the DAY AFTER they delivered it, not exactly the most efficient system either, but that has been a chronic problem of theirs for years, and no one there can explain it.

As for the label making the coins more valuable, have you seen what the label did to the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Sets, and the 20th Anniversary Gold Eagle Sets? Both issued in 2006? To get the coin SET certified as the Anniversary Set, it must be sealed, otherwise the mint has no way to distinguish part of the set from other coin(s) issued the same year. In this case, only the reverse proof is unique and only it would command a premium, while the other does not. Collectors are a funny breed, and severely limited editions, anniversary sets, special labels, special boxes, all make for HIGH DEMAND and command prices.

The critical key in both cases was again NOT OPENING THE BOX, which most people didn't know, but learned this year from that mistake, and didn't make the mistake again. Ironically, I didn't make the mistake in 2006, but made the mistake this year because of the Mint's ill-timed delivery.

:makepoint: