• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1806 Half Dollar; O-114a

17 posts in this topic

This is a raw example, sellers image, and they grade it at XF40. Not an expert on the series and looking for some thoughts and opinions on the piece. Thanks in advance! :)

1806O-114a1.jpg

18060-114aobv.jpg

1806O-114arev.jpg

EF-40 is probably about right for the sharpness grade if not a little better. These coins were struck from either shallow dies or a press that did not squeeze the planchet completely. In this way the early mint was able to extend the working life of the dies, which were expensive to make and replace.

The coin has been cleaned or dipped and then as retoned a bit. The net result makes the piece look a bit unnatural, which is a minus, but the sharpness grade makes up for a some of that.

I don't know what you paid, but so long as it was no more than in the $1,000 neighborhood, you did OK. This is the most common early type coin with 1806 and 1807 being the most common dates. Despite that, there are not many of these coins on the market these days, which has upped the prices.

I would probably put it in the high VF to low XF range, but I definitely do no like the surfaces. It also looks like there are a few scratches on the reverse below the T in United, which would also make me discount the grade a bit. Personallly, I would probably pass on this one.

I think 40 is about right also..I also have a bit of an issue with the coloring, but I love the recut S1 and the T in Liberty....I'd haggle a bit and if I could get it for $100-200 less from haggling I'd probably jump on it and just hoped it kept toning or have it conserved at NCS

ADDED: I was looking closer and then looked in my Overton, I really do like the die marriage and as an R4 you may not get many chances to snag one of these if you're into collecting the varieties..

The recut "TY" in "LIBERTY" is not hard to find. Here's the type coin from my set, which is in an NGC AU-58 holder. (I agree with the grade.) It is an R-1 variety.

1806HalfDolO-1.jpg1806HalfDolR-1.jpg

I suspect that the coin looks darker and/or different in-hand. Either way, unless there is a full return privilege I wouldn't buy a coin in that price range based only upon on-line images.

I would not buy this piece. I do not like the color and look of it. And I am surprised that no one mentioned the very obvious graffiti to the left of the eagle. That is an immediate no-buy from me. On second thought, it may be more die cracks, but it certainly doesn't appear that way.

Appreciate everyones thoughts and comments on this piece. :) I'll be adding some thoughts in the future. ;)

choice vf details------------- initals scratched under IT of united on reverse
I'm not certain that is all man-made, particularly the part that appears to stop at the base of the T.

Coin finally arrived today. Here is my image of the coin with no post editing. Straight from my NIKON Coolpix 5700 to you. :) Any help for this one?

DSCN5352.jpg

DSCN5353.jpg

Hi Lee,

I love this variety.

I would also buy this coin, but only if the price was really right.

That said.

I believe I am seeing graffiti on the reverse. Is it? I do not believe those lines are mint made.

The surfaces/color looks off a bit on this one also.

I put this in the high VF details range, but if that is graffiti I would pass on this. I have a real hard time with a coin with graffiti on it, but that is just me.

I must say, the coin looks much better in your pics than in the seller's.

Awesome die crack! What is it about things like cracks, cuds, and clashes that attracts us so much?