• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting comparison between two certified Morgans

13 posts in this topic

One ANACS, the other NGC. These are not the same coin, obviously, but the idea they're from the same 'family' probably isn't too far fetched.

What say you?

purple1.jpgpurple2.jpg

yea.. they look good together. do you own them? if so wow. finding them would make me happy. such amazing and vibrant colors. my dad has some gsa ikes just like that. those are some really astounding morgans there.

Bravo

You know I wonder how you can tell a coin like this is AT from a small photo or just from a photo period. Also I don't trust ANACS' calls any more, so if they say it is AT I don't necessarily believe it. They do not look similar to me but then I am commenting on a photo again which can be wrong to do. That being said the one on the right looks less AT.

I'd say both are artificially toned.

I agree I think they are ugly and un-natural

Of Course you see them in slabs all the time .. does not make it right

You know I wonder how you can tell a coin like this is AT from a small photo or just from a photo period. Also I don't trust ANACS' calls any more, so if they say it is AT I don't necessarily believe it. They do not look similar to me but then I am commenting on a photo again which can be wrong to do. That being said the one on the right looks less AT.

I agree. The one on the left looks AT, the one on the right looks weird, but I wouldn't immediately say AT just based on the picture.

Both grading services may have gotten it right.

The colors in the toning on the ANACS coin look too bright to me. This is one of the giveaways when one looks of AT. If the colors are too vibrant, there is probably a problem.

The colors on the NGC coin is more subdued, which is consistent with NT. Having said that, I doubt that I would care for either of these coins if I saw them at a bourse. Good toning has pretty colors overlaying bright mint luster. Anything less than that either AT or it’s toning (a.k.a. to some silver corrosion) that has gone too far.

I have noticed that TPG's do not like the sudden change of colors, either along the rim or twords the center. A progression of color is more NT-like.

Agreed. If the AT detail on the ANACS is correct then ti had to be done before it was encapsulated.If the one in the NGC slab is correct then there is no way to know if the toning occured before or after the slab.

the one on the right looks better to me. the lefty looks AT for sure. the one on right looks ok actualy! and i dont like toning :)