• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935 D Washington Quarter Grade and bid value opinions please

14 posts in this topic

Hello, it's me again. Would you please give me your opinions as to this 1935D Wash Qtr's grade and value please? This one truly puzzles me. Thanks in advance-Jim

PS--ignore the hand.

1935DWashQuarter.jpg

It looks MS and would likely grade anywhere from MS63 through MS65, though the eye appeal is negative in my opinion and the coin would have to sell at a discount to Greysheet for whatever level it is graded.

I personally could not imagine that coin going above MS63. Even though it appears to be absent of nicks/scratches you cannot tell what the crud/toning is covering. So imagine my surprise to find that NGC had graded this coin at MS67 their number 183520-003. I have spent considerable time trying to arrive at anywhere near that grade and cannot. This very coin sold in November 2007 on Teletrade for $4200+. Now either I am stupid(which could be substantiated with my son's testimony at various times) or the bidder is bidding solely on the slab and has way too much money. It is up for bid again this Sunday evening and I am all eyes on the process. I was hoping for more responses and am sure now their may be some raising the grade, but MS67!!!!! Come on! :pullhair:

I wish I could help ya Jim but Washies are hard for me. I never know when they are weakly struck and I always look at the breast feathers on a washington first. These look weak to me.

Wow, I was going to say AU50...

There MIGHT be a tiny rub on the eagle's breast feathers. If there is it's one of those "AU-58/MS-62 coins." The spot we see could also be a less than perfect strike.

I'd tend to go with the others and say MS-63 or 64 with less than attractive toning. I think this one might dip decently, and for once it could be an improvement. BUT a dip could also reveal a rub.

Overall it's a decent coin, and those who like originality might take to it. But if it ever made it into an MS-65 holder, it would be one those "bargain basement" specials at a discount price.

Bill,

Maybe you missed my earlier reply, if so:

imagine my surprise to find that NGC had graded this coin at MS67 their number 183520-003. I have spent considerable time trying to arrive at anywhere near that grade and cannot. This very coin sold in November 2007 on Teletrade for $4200+.

I have two major issues here--1) this was graded MS67 and 2) someone actually paid $4200 for it. Whhhhaaaaat! (shrug)

Well I guess I missed that one.

That's the type of coin that I con't even bother to look at. I see MS-67, look at the toning and go on to the next coin without even getting out of a dealer's case.

I'll say this. The guy who "made" that coin made out like a bandit.

$4,200????:o I won't pay $400 for it.

If you want some interesting viewing, it is on Teletrade again this evening from 3pm to 10pm ET. I truly feel this poor buyer will be in a sorry state unless another rich beyond wisdom coin amasser(certainly not collector) bellies up to the bar. Oh well, my rant it over.

Tom,

According to Teletrade the Realized Price was $3800, so I guess the difference was fees or the reserve maybe? I'm not sure how that works. I know the fees can be pretty stiff. Explain to me how the reserve would cause the coin to show a higher price than sold. Does Teletrade advertise reserve prices as sold prices in their history section? Surely not, for if so, then their history would be ludicrously lacking in any credibility. I can't argue the point as I do not know how they work their recorded sales(with or without fees, listing of reserves when the coin did not sell, or realized sold price only).

Anyway, it will be interesting tonight to see the final outcome(I would bet it does not sell)JMO.

I also don't know if an unmet reserve will show up as a sale on TT, but I was just thinking if TT charged a seller the buyer's premium for any reserve unmet lot then they might record that reserve price, too. Truly, I do not know.