• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My New coin purchase shipping box ... :)

14 posts in this topic

I just had to take a picture of this as this vendor appearently does it all the time.

Some of these stamps are OLD ... She must have raided daddies stamp collection or something ... Quite unique though

51253-stamps.jpg.c4e96b1c0c14a42a2dfca6f7469e95cb.jpg

You can buy old common stamps for roughly 90% of face value so the seller is just trying to save a bit of money by using them. I used to collect stamps in the 60's & 70's. I wish I had put all that time and energy into coins. 95% of what I have in my stamp collection is worth less than face value. Sometimes when I see coins selling for what I think are stupid prices, I think about how much money I "invested" in stamps. Could what happened to stamp collecting happen to coins some day?

I wonder how the packages make it through the system without being counter stamped. Perhaps the post office employees are confused by the old stamps?

I think it is because she used a prepaid shipping label so the stamps didn't need to be cancelled.

Chris

My experience at coin shows is that folks who sell stamps get about 85% of face value for their old sheets, even for stamps going back to the 1940s or somewhat earlier. This makes for a postage discount for folks who buy the sheets and then use the stamps.

Did you by chance get that box from Jerry? He sent me a box a while ago and it was covered in stamps from years ago.

I dunno who Jerry is however HER name was Jess Peterson which is her user name also

My experience at coin shows is that folks who sell stamps get about 85% of face value for their old sheets, even for stamps going back to the 1940s or somewhat earlier. This makes for a postage discount for folks who buy the sheets and then use the stamps.

As usual Tom is spot on .. She reply to my email

"Actually it reduces my postage costs since I can buy them below face. Check out the eBay postage auctions. To get the good discounts you need to purchase several hundred dollars at a time from the estate liquidators. You don't see it after they have been through the system but most of the older (pre 1990) stamps have some type of flaw. For example torn corner, partial missing gum or not centered. I have fun with them, my customers enjoy them and it saves some pennies on postage.

Jess Petersen"

You can buy old common stamps for roughly 90% of face value so the seller is just trying to save a bit of money by using them. I used to collect stamps in the 60's & 70's. I wish I had put all that time and energy into coins. 95% of what I have in my stamp collection is worth less than face value. Sometimes when I see coins selling for what I think are stupid prices, I think about how much money I "invested" in stamps. Could what happened to stamp collecting happen to coins some day?

I'm actually stunned by a couple of things:

1. I used to collect stamps as a youngster too. Like one of the links to show where the bargain sale is, I too collected what appear to be "plate blocks" (among other things). It makes me wonder where the heck IS my stamp collection after all. I think I saw some of it in a trip to an old safe deposit box recently. Considering the value, I am reading about, I think it is seriously wasted space!

2. Look at how many of us, coin collectors, started out as stamp collectors? Is it an like an entry level drug? :jokealert:

3. I am SHOCKED by the value of older stamps, I mean not even selling at face value? I mean I knew that the bottom sort of fell out of the stamp market. And that stamps are more of an East Coast thing, what there is of it -- but less than face even? The USPS should start their shopping on eBay and re-sell items at face for a profit! I can see why large shippers would do that, and it's sort of fun. For the average user, buying is probably wouldn't provide a huge cost savings, but tapping an old collection probably wouldn't hurt.

4. People are still collecting stamps, aren't they? I am not sure why. I mean self-adhesive seemed almost blasphemous to me as a stamp collector. If it's something you like, and pretty, I get it -- but otherwise, for actual value, is there any?

5. To answer Larry, who has helped me a little with some advice on coins, I offer this thought about whether what has happened to the stamp market could happen to coins:

First: Coins have two values: numismatic, and in the case of precious metals of any kind, intrinsic value. Silver rose to huge heights in the 80s causing many coins to get melted, and it's rising again, so aside from numismatic value, coins can be turned into cash for their precious metal content. Heck, last year the government even put a moratorium on melting or exporting CENTS because the value of ZINC rose so high and it cost more to make a Lincoln Cent than it was worth. I want to say the same was true for nickels, but I don't recall with certainty. Gold and platinum are also near all-time record highs -- this is great news for collectors of those coins. I should also add that coins have a THIRD value: They are, after all, MONEY --and for coins you may have collected from pocket change to fill an album "for show" or something, or maybe that you did as a novice collector, or as a child, it can always be spent as such, just plain MONEY!

There are some other things going for coins. Tens of millions of new collectors in the United States alone, all because of the State Quarters program, created a demand for many coins in a not unlimited market, as new collectors went back and tried to re-create sets from the beginning, or discovered other coins (the ever popular Morgan Dollar, or what-have-you). The new Presidential Dollar series is proving to keep the interest in coin collecting among these new collectors, and bring even more new collectors to the hobby -- the greater the demand, the stronger the hobby.

As the stock market has rough and tumble weeks, the dollar falls and falls in the currency markets, precious metals continue to rise -- again, good for coin collectors (although bad for BUYING coins because of higher prices, good for those you've already got, or want to sell).

Could anything happen? Of course. The market in coins has fallen out, there was a huge slump. But what was happening then? Wall Street speculators were putting clients into coins in the 80s, clients who knew nothing about what they were buying, and brokers who knew nothing about what they were selling. American coins went into a slump -- there were no new issues of note, the hobby had negative growth, understandably. However, so many new collectibles have emerged to keep collectors interested -- state quarters, presidential dollars, silver eagles, gold buffalos (much less all the classics like the Morgans and so many others!) -- and around the world there are the Kookaburras, the brand new Koalas, the Chinese Panda celebrating 25 years, the Maple Leaf, even the Libertad is now 25 years strong -- all coins that have developed SUCH a following that the collecting community is strong and driven -- there is a very established, and ever-growing market.

Again, could anything happen? You bet. My crystal ball isn't back from the shop yet. Is it nearly as likely? I can't even imagine. Remember: Numismatic, Intrinsic, and HEY, it's money! (thumbs u

Combine it with all the other factors, and I think coins are around to stay. Again to quote Dennis Miller: It's just my opinion, I could be wrong. 2c